Can Use Non-Toxic Marker?

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 6:44pm by Cakepro

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 6

Since many dusts are non toxic but not technically edible, can't we just use, say a gold marker that's non-toxic? What's the difference? Any ideas ?

5 replies
JamieBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieBrooke Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 6

My instructor said that you can use non-toxic markers. She was a Wilton instructor and she said that you dont have to buy the wilton edible markers, that you can use crayola or even sharpie as long as it says non toxic. I havent used any. It sounds a little odd to me. I wouldnt want to draw on something and give it to my child to eat so I dont think that I will be using any regular markers on cakes. Thats just me. To each his own though. icon_smile.gif

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 6

Not sure what the difference is, but I have used non-toxic markers on items that probably will not be eaten. I got the tip from a few people on here that do that. I use a scrapbooking marker.

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 6

if you KNOW that the item is not going to actually be eaten...say like a figure or gumpaste flower or something it should be okay...still not recommended though.

Anything you use that is not considered food safe is really a big no no...especially to paying customers....they could sue you if they got sick and it's found that you used a non food product on their cake!!

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 6

I would think that the food markers are FDA approved. And I seriously doubt that regular non-toxic markers have been approved. It is my understanding that this is why some of the luster dusts and such have this label. I do know that the reason that Wilton did not have these things on the market for such a long time was that they would not offer them to their customers until they had full approval from the FDA.
Although they might not hurt anyone, is it really worth the risk?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 6
Originally Posted by thallo

Although they might not hurt anyone, is it really worth the risk?

No kidding!

If you know FOR A FACT it will not be eaten, I guess maybe you could do it but you would need to let the customer know it is not edible and sign the order form, acknowledging that.

I wouldn't do it, though. Food markers are cheap. And people are stupid.

Plus, gold markers do NOT use the same formulation of ink as Crayola markers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%