Help!!!! My Cake Collapsed!!!

Decorating By CareyI Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm by millermom

CareyI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareyI Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:06am
post #1 of 11

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif OK...I had my cake on live TV and the orders started pouring in....not complaining....I had one for a 3D cake. Well, I had not tried one yet so I told him I would have to try one first. I did and it took forever but I felt confident enought to do one, plus I took the trial one to work and the girls went bonkers. I did everything the same I thought. My cake seemed very moist to me and I had trouble carving it. I crumb coated it and it seemed alright after that. I finished it 7 hrs later....WOW these are hard....and loaded it in the van. I was very excited since this was my first "REAL" customer. When I opened the back I noticed the cake had collapsed. I started getting teary eyed immediatly icon_cry.gif The customer was very nice and insisted I take payment. I was mortified and politly refused. He was shoving it in my hands. Well, I did give it all back of course but now I need help please. I am thinking it was just that my cake was not firm enough and I frost heavy. I could use some advice please. Thanks
Carey
I can't seem to get the pic to attach it is the coach purse in my pics.

10 replies
tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #2 of 11

It's going to be o.k. First breathe!

I do a few 3D cakes and have found if I use the recipe for 3D and wedding cakes (I believe it's by heartsfire). Also, be sure to dowel and board if you go higher than 2 layers. Then carve. I have had cakes collapse before I began using that recipe because they were to moist.

That is my 2 cents, I'm sure others will have more information if not better.

However, that is how if fixed my problem.

CareyI Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:32am
post #3 of 11

I did dowel so I got that one. But I didn't board only because the practice one did ok with out it but I will from now on! Do you by chance have that recipe? Thanks so much....I still get a little teary eyed - big wimp that I am - I was just so embarrassed!

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:43am
post #4 of 11

I understand about the tears! I laughed at my self out of frustration. When the customer came for the pick up, I had made another cake. Because I knew them from church I pulled out the collapsed cake and gave it to her husband. He was so happy! That made it all worth it. It was also a purse cake.

Yes I have the recipe. I found it here on CC.

Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes
Serves/Yields: 2-9in rounds or 1-9X13 or 1 moulded cake
Prep. Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 30-35 min
Category: Cake Mix Cakes, Pound Cakes, Yellow Cakes, Birthday Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

This cake is moist yet very durable and will hold up to many shapes and designs. It is light in taste and stays moist if making a day or two ahead.
1 Duncan Hines Yellow (or White) cake mix
4 egg whites
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 small pkg of instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 350

Incorporate all ingredients together one by one on low speed.

Make sure to mix thoroughly between each ingredient.

Once all ingredients are mixed turn mixer to medium and mix for approximately 2 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes
Source:
Contributed by: heartsfire on Sunday, April 24. 2005 at 12:02:48

Hang in there, you'll really like this. Everyone has given me such wonderful compliments on the taste. Feel free to look at my 3D cakes to get an idea of what I've been able to do with this recipe. There is also a chocolate flavor (just as good!)

Toni

CareyI Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:57am
post #5 of 11

I did look at your cakes!!! WOW!! I need a mentor......
I really just like playing around and I love the challenge. But I have orders into July now since my friend took one of my cakes to work and they thought it would be cool to wish the birthday girl happy birthday live with my cake....I felt like a super star that day though. I just need to relax and keep having fun!
Thanks for the recipe..I will try it soon!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:58am
post #6 of 11

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. It was a lovely cake.

If you didn't have a board every 4 inches, or so, in the construction, I'm not sure what the purpose of the dowel(s) would be. They're generally used to sort of firm up a bottom tier so that it can support the weight of the top tier.

If dowels are just driven thru plain cake, they're not doing much other than weakening the structure because they'll vibrate at a rate different that the cake when it's in motion. They're just not holding anything together.

Hope that makes sense.

Rae

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:13am
post #7 of 11

CareyI

Hi! It's millermom.

OK, flashbacks to my topsy turvy icon_cry.gif Why does this only happen on cakes for other people, and not the practice ones?!! icon_razz.gif

Sorry this happened to you. We'll have to console each other over a drink at bowling this week.

icon_smile.gif

CareyI Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:19am
post #8 of 11

Blakescakes...do you still dowel with the boards? Through them or under them...I have heard different things and I am very confused when it comes to all of this

Millermom...drinks are on me sister!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:43am
post #9 of 11

I put a board (3/16th inch foamcore) under every 4" layer and I always dowel under the tiers, or every 2 (2") layers if it's sculpted. I use the Wilton plastic dowels so that I don't need to use as many as the thin wooden ones. I use about 1 dowel/2 inches of cake size (i.e. if the tier above is 6 inches across, I use 3 dowels, if it's 10 inches across, I use 5 dowels).

For transport, I often drive a dowel thru all of the tiers, so it goes down thru all of the boards supporting all of the tiers. I stop when I hear/feel it pierce the bottom decorative board.

I also transport my cakes in a box on top of memory foam in the back of my car (small SUV). The foam spreads out the vibration and bumps in the road. And if it's warm in the car, I make it cold.

HTH
Rae

CareyI Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:53am
post #10 of 11

Blakescakes....YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 11

Memory foam---Great idea! icon_surprised.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%