Icing Cookies

Decorating By ketch22222 Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 12:14am by mommyle

ketch22222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ketch22222 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 6

What is the best icing to use for decorating sugar cookies? I love using buttercream, but can't stack them. I want to do some for a wedding and want to be able to write the date and names, but want to be able to cover them without smearing. I don't want to sacrifice taste....any suggestions? icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
CourtneysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysSweets Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 6

I've used http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sugar-Cookie-Glaze/Detail.aspx and had no problems stacking once dried.

ketch22222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ketch22222 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you! I've seen reviews from a similar recipe saying to use a paintbrush to decorate. Do you know if I can use regular decorating tips with this recipe? I need to write names and don't think I could do a good job with a paintbrush.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 6

Check out the cookies forum here on CC. There is TONS of great advice there. There are essentially two different types of icing that work well for cookies. One is Royal Icing, many swear by a recipe from Antonia74. The other is a Glace. There are a couple. Toba's Glace and in icing my Tara1970. I personally prefer glace for it's taste. It's not quite as versatile as Royal though.

disp4so Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disp4so Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 6

you can also use fondant as the base and then decorate the details with royal icing. I makes for a very tasty and stable cookie.. just use the same cookie cutter to cut out the fondant and place it on the cookie after it comes out of the oven. the warmth of the cookie will adhere the fondant.

Also with glaze and royal icing you have to wait for it to dry before you can decorate. If you use fondant you just have to wait for the cookie to cool and then you can decorate. It saves a lot of time.

I made the switch from glaze to fondant and no one has ever noticed the difference.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:14am
post #6 of 6

I would imagine that modeling chocolate would work just as well as the fondant also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%