Sparkle Dust?

Decorating By gerripje Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 2:37am by Cakepro

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 10

A few months ago I bought at Michael's a set of 3 white, yellow, silver small jars of what I thought was luster dust. Now I've figured out they are for sprinkling on top of cakes to make them sparkle. That's not the stuff I ever wanted but wondered what would happen if I mixed some in some gum paste or fondant? I guess I could try it, but I can't get supplies right in the town I live, so if I mess up something, I have to wait for another town trip or order online. Thanx for the help!

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 10

It looses itself when mixed into fondant or any type of icingicon_sad.gif

I think what you have is edible glitter. Is it largish flakes of clear stuff? Or is it a very fine powder?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 10

That 3-pack of white, silver, and gold fine glittery stuff is just finely crushed Cake Sparkles. It is coarser than pearl dust (which Wilton also sells in skinny tubes). It's best painted on.

I agree with Kakeladi, it would be a waste to mix it in to fondant or icing.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 10

Oh, I should have mentioned it was Wilton stuff and they did have the taller skinny jars and these are the short fat ones. The are coarser, I found that out when trying to color a gum paste bow that I did and it didn't really color the bow just left grainy bits on it. That's when I thought hmmmmm I don't think this is luster dust!!! Really kind of useless in the end I think. At least it's a learning process from mistakes. Good think my husband doesn't pay too close attention to all this stuff that I buy by mistake!!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 10

I bought the flakes, silver, white, gold, and that is all they were. Then I bought the 3 pack silver, gold, and white which I thought were luster dust and threw them away. I then bought the tall skinny tubes and they were good. All was then well in my world. My favorite though is glitter dust from Sunflower. Beautiful shiny sparkly!

Cakepro Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #6 of 10

Wilton's Shimmer Dusts definitely has a place in cake decorating - but Shimmer Dust is not a substitute for luster dust! I demonstrate how to use Shimmer Dusts to get beautiful edges on gumpaste flowers and several other techniques using them in my Wilton classes.

kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #7 of 10

I have used a lot os edible glitter which seems to be what you have.
Crush it well (I used the handle of a wood spoon) and put it in a salt shaker. I always used the clear/white.

Cakepro Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:46am
post #8 of 10

Cake Sparkles is what you (Kakeladi) are talking about - large flakes of gum arabic that comes in different colors. Link: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E310D1E-475A-BAC0-5E0EF1DB7697E8A1&fid=3E32ABF9-475A-BAC0-52EF871BDC4BFB50

Shimmer Dusts are simply small jars of finely crushed Cake Sparkles that are sold in 3-packs of pastels, primaries, or gold/silver/white. There is no need to crush Shimmer Dusts because they already ARE crushed. Link: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=BA17880D-802D-F658-09B3D5CAB5B536C6&fid=BA17882C-802D-F658-0883EA50A1EA9904

What these girls have/had are the Shimmer Dusts. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:19am
post #9 of 10

Oh well. Wilton has some new stuff that wasn't available 3-5 yrs ago so I guess I don't know exactly what I'm talking abouticon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:37am
post #10 of 10

All they did was crush cake sparkles and charge more for them. icon_biggrin.gif They'll probably be gone in a year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%