Edible Image Printer... Which One?

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 11:11am by gingersoave

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:03am
post #151 of 213

Beautiful cake kakesbykitty. That is so special.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:10am
post #152 of 213

I got the Epson cx400 and when I put the ink in (with the chips, ordered from Kopykake) it wouldn't read the ink and said I needed to replace it.

Didn't give me the opportunity to bypass it or anything....cripes.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:18am
post #153 of 213

CakeDiva-- don't give up. I have a cx8400. From time to time it won't read one or more of the colors. I've found the best thing to do is take out all of the colors--not just the one that isn't being recognized--wait a few seconds, then try again.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:11am
post #154 of 213

Just wondering is it only the epson printers that you can use to do this with or can you use any other model of printer?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:58pm
post #155 of 213

Kopykake has a list of printers they sell cartridges for. They are certain models of epson and canon. Go to their website to see the list.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #156 of 213

Hey everyone! How are you guys doing? I FINALLY got a chance to set-up/use my printer for my son's class Easter party. I made cookies using vintage easter pics I found online. I love this printer.... one question though. I bought the Epson NX400, does anyone know how to adjust the color? They turn out a little too blue/green. TIA!
Here is a picture of my cookies... these are the first things I made with this.
LL

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:16pm
post #157 of 213

misslizzy,
i bought a cheap cannon and use kopykakes paper, I love it all. I use it for cakes and cookies

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:37pm
post #158 of 213

go into your printer settings and turn OFF the auto photo fix or correction setting. makes a HUGE difference.

Too fun, we did easter cookies too with the old postcard images! Isn't it fun?
LL

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #159 of 213

good job both of you, they are so cute

toodlesjupiter Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #160 of 213

Thanks Kakesbykitty! I'll try that. Yours turned out way better... I didn't have time to do any embellishments. Always running late trying to get everything ready for his party!

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #161 of 213

hey, don't you even knock yours! they are adorable! Shari, my business partner, did our cookies. she does the baking and the cookies and i do the cake designing and decorating. I will tell her you liked them icon_smile.gif

driveacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
driveacake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #162 of 213

i have used the fondant paper before and i just reserve one printer for the fondant printing! i love what you can do with it! fun!

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #163 of 213

fondant paper??? I'm assuming that is different than the sheets. If you don't mind me asking where did you get fondant sheets?

I have all the stuff for the printer (ink, paper) - but had trouble getting the black ink/chip to work. Even bought a second black to try a different chip - but no luck. Haven't tried again in awhile - hope it still works! icon_sad.gif
Frustrating...

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #164 of 213

OMGosh! I love all of you guys cookies and cake! Those Easter cookies are toooooo cute and they look so beautiful!
I have not used my EI setup for a project, yet. icon_sad.gif
Getting lots of neat ideas from you all though! icon_smile.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #165 of 213

Sorry guys I am new to this thread and have been trying to catch up!! I too am wanting to buy a printer...just so I can understand correctly, will any NEW regular printer work?? I was thinking I had to buy a "special printer" made especially for cakes. By what I have read, the good and inexpensive brand is Epson, right off EBAY. Also, the ink and icing sheets I simply purchase from kopykake??? Any help would be appreciated icon_smile.gif

krazyb5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazyb5 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:19am
post #166 of 213

I think I'm a get my self one, lol

toodlesjupiter Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:04pm
post #167 of 213

Normita- I just bought my Epson NX400 last month at Target for $60. I liked that because I didn't hve to wait/pay for shipping. You just have to watch for a sale.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #168 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

Normita- I just bought my Epson NX400 last month at Target for $60. I liked that because I didn't hve to wait/pay for shipping. You just have to watch for a sale.

Thanks toodles...I am going to check on Ebay and defintatly go to Target. So, is this epson nx400 an all in 1...does it come with scanner??

toodlesjupiter Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #169 of 213

Normita- Yes it does... it is an All-In-One with print/copy/scan/photo features. HTH!

pitagory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pitagory Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm
post #170 of 213

I have a hp printer with edible ink and love it love it I got my sheets and ink from icingmagic.com and I havent had problems with it yet
but you do have to buy a new printer just for that icon_smile.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #171 of 213

Has anyone had a problem with the image color being faded or 'washed out'? I just received the Kwikscan IV system by Kopykake yesterday.I did a test run and printed out a sheet...the color was faded with lines across the pictures!...what happened???

toodlesjupiter Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #172 of 213

Check your print settings. There should be an info sheet with your cartridges/icing sheets that tells you exactly which settings to put it on. Mine did that the first time, too because I missed one of them. If you still have the problem, contact Kopykake tech support and they'll walk you through it.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:33pm
post #173 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

Check your print settings. There should be an info sheet with your cartridges/icing sheets that tells you exactly which settings to put it on. Mine did that the first time, too because I missed one of them. If you still have the problem, contact Kopykake tech support and they'll walk you through it.

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna try it out right now.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #174 of 213

Worked like a charm!!!

after and before.....
LL
LL

toodlesjupiter Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #175 of 213

Cool! It looks great now! icon_biggrin.gif

Maureen1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maureen1954 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:05pm
post #176 of 213

I have read this whole thread and have not seen mention of this.

My local Sam's Club sells edible images for $3. I'm not a member so I have to pay the additional 10% so it costs me $3.30.

This is compared to the local bakery which charges $16 and the nearest cake shop, which is 15 miles away, which charges $10.

Maureen

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #177 of 213

I have contemplating on buying one. I bought one from the local bakery here it was Luck's and I'm not sure if it was the image I had them make a company logo or it was the user~me. It did not look like part of the cake it looked like it was sitting on the cake. Is there somewhere that shows how to use them??

Kelley

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:41am
post #178 of 213

Ok, let me get this right....If I buy the canon mx700 I cannot use both edible ink and regular ink? I've heard everyone talk about the epson printer, but what do you guys know about the canon? I really need a home printer and an edible image printer. I'm pulling my hair out over this...please help! icon_cry.gif

PhotoFrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhotoFrost Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm
post #179 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrera

Ok, let me get this right....If I buy the canon mx700 I cannot use both edible ink and regular ink? I've heard everyone talk about the epson printer, but what do you guys know about the canon? I really need a home printer and an edible image printer. I'm pulling my hair out over this...please help! icon_cry.gif

That is correct, printers used for edible printing need to be dedicated to edible inks. Regular inks are a contaminent in this industry. I personally love the Canon printer, I get bright vivid pictures each and every time and on the occasion that there is a problem with a clog, I can easily remove the print head, wash it out and put it back in the printer, and I am back up and running.

Also here is an idea for you, since your needing a home office and edible printer, use your edible printer for your daily paperwork. I print invoices, letters and everything using edible inks, it looks and dries the same as regular inks and replacing the cartridges is really no more expensive than buying regular ink cartridges. This also keeps my printer running between printing edible photos.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #180 of 213

Epson and canon printers are made differently. Some printers have the print heads on the cartridges and some have the print heads on the machines.

Supposedly Epsons heads are on the cartridges which is the reason why it has been said that you don't have to have a dedicated printer. The nozzle itself is actually in the printer.

once I thought I had to get a new printer cause it just wasn't printing right at all. i was doing nozzle checks, cleaning etc and still nothing. I called KK tech support and he told me to clean the printer nozzle with regular ink and see what happens.. worked like a charm.

With that said, I do not normally use my EI printer for regular work, because I have 3 printers at my house.. LOL 2 regular and 1 EI printer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%