Edible Image Printer... Which One?

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 11:11am by gingersoave

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #61 of 213

I am ready to jump in and buy one, too. I am going to be doing a lot of cakes for the Air Force, so this would be perfect!! Thanks for all the info!

tljkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tljkids Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:47pm
post #62 of 213

I actually called Kopykake and a gentleman there, I belive his name was Rudy, told me I did NOT have to have a dedicated printer. He said I could use both edible and regular inks in the same printer. He suggested I buy an Epson NX400 and could interchange the inks. From what I'm reading on the forums, most people say otherwise. I'm confused!! icon_confused.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm
post #63 of 213

I know who Rudy is. I dont know how to answer that other then I dont think I would do that. I cant see regular ink not leaving traces. I have heard that a min amount of reg ink probably wont hurt you but still ??
But then thats your call. Everyone has their own thought on it.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #64 of 213

I forgot to ask... how much do you all charge extra for an edible image on a cake?

tljkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tljkids Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:11pm
post #65 of 213

I had just decided to order an edible image setup and wanted to go with Kopykake. Based on the information they gave me, I thought I could interchange. The only regular ink I have ran through the printer was a few sample images from the Kopykake website. After reading more on this issue, I will only use the new printer for edible images. I guess I should have researched better. It just sort of bums me that I was given information from the vendor that maybe could have been explained a little better?

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #66 of 213

Well I hope you get one. I got mine at Target at a super cheap sale.Also I dont think I would want to have to keep changing the ink back and forth I would probably forget and print someones icing sheeet with reg ink LOL!
hsterling.. What ever you can get in your area. The cake store by me charges min of $7 a sheet and it doesent matter if you picture is a 3in or you use the full sheet.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:31pm
post #67 of 213

2 more questions

1. can you wrap an icing sheet around the circumference of a round cake without it breaking? if so, how

2. what do you charge extra for these images on your cakes?

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:49pm
post #68 of 213

Heres a link to a cake My buddy Melvira did ( the small one ) . The icing sheets are very bendable they done really break ( unless frozen to long ) they will tear you just have to be careful.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1256542

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:34am
post #69 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Thanks to all who helped!!!! My printer is on the way, now I'm off to order ink and sheets. I'm excited to get it.

Yeah!! See how fast he is! I am so happy for you! thumbs_up.gif

Well, my Frosting Sheets, Wafer sheets, and Ink cartridges came in today but I have not had time to set the printer up yet.........maybe tomorrow! Am anxious to get it done!! icon_biggrin.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:52am
post #70 of 213

Ok a couple of more questions, how do I know what type inks to get like 4or 5 and what size sheets does this one go up to? Thanks again.

Teekakes Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:59am
post #71 of 213

Hsterling............Glad you are going to be getting one! icon_smile.gif
Here in my area EI's are 10.00 each. I agree with Fiddlesticks in that you should charge what your local stores/bakeries do.

Tljkids ............... icon_eek.gif I am shocked someone at KK told you that! Unbelievable to me! I am soooo glad you did some research of your own and have chosen not to use both inks in one printer! Good for you!! thumbs_up.gif

Kitty......I went to your website and love the way you and your co-decorator have your pictures on your about me page! The internet is so cold and impersonal so much of the time, it is always a plus for me when shopping if I can "see" who I am dealing with......know what I mean!! icon_smile.gif
The Kroger store where I have been getting my images printed charge 8.00 per sheet. A local bakery charges 16.00 per sheet icon_eek.gif I don't think they want to sell EI's!! icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:48pm
post #72 of 213

GRRRR!! CC wasent lettng me on last night .. Lets see how today goes.
Kopykake has a cross-reference page on their site and you can figure out your ink fom there.
I believe the biggest icing sheets you can print are 7.5 x 10
If you look through my photo pages I have several E.I.s on different cakes, you can see how the color looks and also how they look when trimed a little bit on a more square cake.

Teekakes Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:40pm
post #73 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Ok a couple of more questions, how do I know what type inks to get like 4or 5 and what size sheets does this one go up to? Thanks again.

Since you just purchased the same printer I did I can tell you I ordered the TO695SET-4 ink and it prints 8 x 10 and smaller.

I got mine all setup and running today. Printed two test photos on wafer paper and they came out great! And it was all very easy to do! icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:49pm
post #74 of 213

Hey Teekakes, check the front of your icing sheet pk and it says max printable size 7.5x10 because it leaves a small boarder around the
edge thats plain and thats where you can handle it with out touching the picture.
Sorry Im not correcting you . Just dont want you to think you can get a full 8x10.
Of course maybe the sheets have changed in the last few months since I ordered some?
Oh and I got through 3 full pks of icing sheets before I was low on any of my colors! I guess it will depend on what your printing though to .

Teekakes Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm
post #75 of 213

Hey Diane icon_smile.gif You are correct on that. I thought Debster was asking what size the printer prints up to, thus the 8 x 10 answer. I wasn't thinking she was asking about the size of the icing sheet max print size. Maybe I read her wrong..................nonetheless, she has an answer for both scenarios! icon_biggrin.gif

Gotta get back to work if I want to get some cookies baked tonight. icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:11pm
post #76 of 213

Ok Lea, maybe your right. Im probably wrong! I usually am LOL!
It only makes a difference on the cake top if you plaining some decor beween the EI and the border and need certain amount of space but ya never know. And yes now she has it all lOL!!
I cant wait to see all the new EI cakes start posting!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:58pm
post #77 of 213

Hi everyone! Sorry, but I have 1 more question... I just read a bunch of reviews on the Epson CX8400 that said it drinks ink like crazy, they said even when your not printing color pics, it goes through color ink like crazy. Just wondering if any of you have noticed that. Since the ink is the most expensive part, it has me a little worried. Thanks for your help!

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:58am
post #78 of 213

Oh I got through 3 full pks of icing sheets before I was low on any of my colors! I guess it will depend on what your printing though to.
Again this is just me and maybe what I print.
I can only say how everything has worked for me but I have not noticed that at all.
I hate answering some of these questions, only because I would hate for someone else to have any problems with anything at all that I said has never happened to me. Ya Know. So please everyone This is only me and my printer Im sure things do happen and go wrong.

toodlesjupiter Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:44pm
post #79 of 213

Thanks fiddlesticks! I know you can only say how yours works. I just know how helpful you are, and would never blame you for anything if I get one and it doesn't work the same as yours. The reviews I saw were for regular printing use, not edible images, so who knows if the experiences would be the same anyway. I just keep going back and forth as to whether I will use this enough to male it worth buying one now or not. Just trying to gather info, and weigh my options. You've been so helpful! Thanks again!

Oh yeah, do you know if this model(CX8400) is still carried in the stores, or do I have to order it online?

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:35pm
post #80 of 213

toodlesjupiter.. I have seen that model in my Staples and Target in the last few months, Please dont pay any more then up to $60 for it, you should find it for that price if you look around.
Only you know how much you will use it.
But if you do even a doz in a yr I would think that would make it worth your while. Around here they are $7 each at the cake supply. But more at a bakery/store( up to $10 ) and if they do it. And if you do cookies at all, or want to you will need a few pages worth. Besides its right there. you dont have to run around and get them and all that. Just some thoughts on the plus side!
I love mine even if I only use it once a month. or a few times a week.

toodlesjupiter Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:52pm
post #81 of 213

Thanks again Fiddlesticks! I think I'm going to go out looking today... see what I can find! You've been so helpful!

cakesbykitty Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 8:03pm
post #82 of 213

I GOT IT! my Epson workforce 30 (dirt cheap on ebay) and my kopykake cartridges and icing sheets all came. i printed one to test it and it's gorgeous. SOOOOOOO totally worth investing in!

DegaDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DegaDee Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 8:07pm
post #83 of 213

Do you have to have the starter inks that come with the printer or if you are orderng the edible inks, there's no need for them? I found a printer without the starter ink cartridges, and wanted to make sure before purchasing. TIA

toodlesjupiter Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:13pm
post #84 of 213

Okay... I went out looking, and I couldn't find the CX8400, but they have the NX300.... anyone have any idea if this one works well? Do you think any Epson is good? TIA!

cakesbykitty Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:18pm
post #85 of 213

TRIED to post earlier but had trouble... you DON'T need the cartridges that come with the printer... i just thru mine in a drawer. Only use a printer that has NEVER had regular ink cartridges in it. I bought the workforce 30 and it seems great. simple, but fine for the need and only $30 new on ebay.

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:18pm
post #86 of 213

I like the Epson brand myself .I dont know anything about that model but did you check and see if you can get Edible Ink for that model ?

toodlesjupiter Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 11:34pm
post #87 of 213

Yeah... they do have cartridges for it, and the guy at the store said he thought this was just the newer version, but I just want to be sure.

fiddlesticks Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:04am
post #88 of 213

Oh, Well im sorry I dont know anything about that one.

DegaDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DegaDee Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:13am
post #89 of 213

Will the cx8400 work with Vista?

Teekakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:29am
post #90 of 213

Kitty......So happy to hear you got your printer and all accessories!! icon_biggrin.gif Have fun! I know I plan to! icon_biggrin.gif

Dee..........yes, it is compatible with Vista. I just set mine up last week and it is the CX8400. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%