Edible Image Printer... Which One?

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 11:11am by gingersoave

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #181 of 213

[/quote]Also here is an idea for you, since your needing a home office and edible printer, use your edible printer for your daily paperwork. I print invoices, letters and everything using edible inks, it looks and dries the same as regular inks and replacing the cartridges is really no more expensive than buying regular ink cartridges. This also keeps my printer running between printing edible photos.[/quote]
My regular ink cartridges are $10 each and the edible image cartridges are $18.00 each so I find it much more expensive to use edible ink for every day printing.

PhotoFrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhotoFrost Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #182 of 213

Some of the older Canon models have the print head built into the cartridge and most HP models have the same set up, but most Epson and Canon models have a seperate print head in which you install the ink cartridges into. I had an Epson before where the print head clogged up and I was basically told to throw it away and buy a new one because you can not remove the print head to clean it. The Canon I have now has very little problems and I can take the print head out to clean it when I need to.

Hi Tiggy, sorry to hear that about the pricing. Right now I pay $59 for a complete set of 4 cartridges for my printer, and those include new chips on the cartridge without having to transfer over the old ones or resetting anything. So for me it works out to be more cost effective using it for my every day printing.

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:33pm
post #183 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFrost

Some of the older Canon models have the print head built into the cartridge and most HP models have the same set up, but most Epson and Canon models have a seperate print head in which you install the ink cartridges into. I had an Epson before where the print head clogged up and I was basically told to throw it away and buy a new one because you can not remove the print head to clean it. The Canon I have now has very little problems and I can take the print head out to clean it when I need to.

Hi Tiggy, sorry to hear that about the pricing. Right now I pay $59 for a complete set of 4 cartridges for my printer, and those include new chips on the cartridge without having to transfer over the old ones or resetting anything. So for me it works out to be more cost effective using it for my every day printing.

Photofrost,

Where do you get your edible cartridges?

dcabrera Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #184 of 213

Ok, here's what I have learned from Jackie AND Carolina at KopyKake. They both said I could used regular ink, then switch to EI when doing an edible image. Right after I do the EI I have to do a deep cleaning with the regular ink. They both said you have to use regular ink to do a deep cleaning anyway in order not to clog up the printer. Permanent ink is considered non-toxic as long as you are using it how she described. I went ahead and ordered the canon mx700 with the edible ink cartridges and refill kits (they are less the half the price of EI cartridges). I'm going to go ahead and take their advise. I was so ify about it, I had her ask her manager just to make sure. Oh, and they said while I'm not using the edible ink to just store it in an airtight bag to keep it from drying out.

heylucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heylucy Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #185 of 213

my icing sheets seem to be separating from the paper and it's hard to feed through the printer are the sheets no longer good

PhotoFrost Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm
post #186 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFrost

Photofrost,

Where do you get your edible cartridges?

All my edible supplies come from PhotoFrost. I do work for the company but also do my own cake decorating using edible photos. This is why I know alot about edible printing systems, and I am not trying to make waves about the regular ink issue, but try and get the health department or the fda to approve using regular ink in an edible printer and they will certainly tell you this a very big no no.

Other companies may say that you need to use regular ink to keep your print head clean, but this is do to the composition of their own inks. The edible inks that I use are formulated to help keep the print head clean without having to use regular inks or special cleaners.

About your Icing sheets, there still might be a chance to save them, take a damp paper towel and place it inside the package with the icing sheets, make sure that you are putting it on the bottom ontop of the backing page not on the icing sheet. Close the bag and let it sit up to 24 hours and this might rehydrate the icing sheets. If after 24 hrs your icing sheets are still hard and coming off the backing page then yes, they are no longer good.

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:28am
post #187 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakesbykitty

LIFE IS GOOD AGAIN icon_smile.gif

i thought for sure i had a bad printer or a bad cartridge....

Milton (tech service) at Kopykakes is a miracle worker. He talked me thru it all and it works again.

I want to share a couple things i learned from Milton:

1. Epson ink cartridges are non-toxic.

2. you use the regular epson ink cartridges to do the head cleaning because (if i remember what he said correctly... i was in a baaaad place) they actually have a cleaner in them to unclog your nozzle heads.

3. and i found this out the hard way.... if you use your edible ink for head cleanings you will go thru an entire cartridge of ink in 5 head cleanings.

4. Epson printers DO NOT have a reservoir of ink so as soon as you take the regular cartridge out and put the edible ink back in you are good to go.

so, knowing they are non-toxic and they don't keep a reservoir of ink in the printer clears up a lot of the wives tales about switching inks or multi purposing your printer.

so... long story short (too late, i know) i don't have a bad printer (was already looking for better one on ebay waiting for the tech call), my ink cartridge isn't broken and yes, the system works.

I just burned thru both black cartridges to find this out. Refills on the way.

OH.... and be sure you go into your printer properties and set it up for photo (not text) and matte paper or you will not get a good image.

I have printed 2 icing sheets perfectly since we hung up. I'm a happy camper again.

Hope this helps someone avoid the stress i've been thru over the past 2 hours... I need a drink now icon_smile.gif

I wish I had read this before.
I already purchase another printer nx300.
And put my cx6000 a side.

I took it back now and did what you did.
And now it prints perfect. (Now I have 2 printers!!!!!!!)

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:14am
post #188 of 213

[/quote] The edible inks that I use are formulated to help keep the print head clean without having to use regular inks or special cleaners.

[/quote]

Photofrost:
Where do you get those edible inks ??
I want to know in case I need.

PhotoFrost Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:03am
post #189 of 213

Here is a link to where you can get those cartridges from.

http://www.photofrost.com/catalog_new/index.php?cPath=28_46

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:50pm
post #190 of 213

Are there any videos on the steps of using an edible image? I ordered a printer and need to put one around the sides of a round cake.

dcabrera Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #191 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Are there any videos on the steps of using an edible image? I ordered a printer and need to put one around the sides of a round cake.

I'm sort of looking for the same thing. I need to figure out how to print a pattern onto my icing sheet. Do you guys use photobucket? I would like to add flames or skulls to the side of my cake.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:48pm
post #192 of 213

go to s u g a r c r a f t . c o m and then scroll down the menu on the left to printers and click on photo cakes menu. There is a lot of info there.

PhotoFrost Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #193 of 213

There is not any videos that I know of personally but I will be glad to help you with any ideas you have and how you want to use them. Just let me know.

GrandmaG Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:32am
post #194 of 213

Ok I made my first edible image. It turned out great! The only problem is I have a few little bubbles in it after putting on cake. I did refrigerate the cake as it had a whipped cream cheese frosting. Is that the problem? The refrigeration? I left out over night and it helped calm the bubbles down but it still has a few tiny ones.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:52am
post #195 of 213

Thank you for asking this question, I am ready to purchase my edible image printer as well, I pay $13 per edible image sheet plus I have to drive an hour to and from.

Thanks for the input everyone!!!!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:25pm
post #196 of 213

GrandmaG... After you lay the image on the cake you can lay a paper towel over it and very gently smooth it with a fondant smoother or the " melvira" I have also put a cake in the fridge with an Image and it did not cause bubbles, but it was buttercream not cream cheese iced. I next to never put a cake in the fridge but had to this one time.

GrandmaG Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #197 of 213

Oh thanks! I was so afraid I'd ruin it. I guess the more I do the more comfortable I'll get with it!

fiddlesticks Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #198 of 213

Yes, I was the same way with the first few then its just like " just do it " If you mess it up you can alwyas print a new one! Thats the nice part of having your own E.I.printer you can jus go whip out another one!
But just remember you only really get one shot at laying it on the cake where you want it. If you try to move it , it will most likely ruin it.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:24pm
post #199 of 213

I have a quick question: If you use a EI on fondant would it be possible to then mold that piece of fondant, say into a swag draped over the cake like fabric. I'm loving the EI idea the possibilities are endless.

The reason I ask is I have a friend who is getting married and he wants tartan on his cake, the only way I figured I would be able to do it is by hand painting the design1st.

Not sure if it would work with EI, think it would probably crack and crease, but you never know icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #200 of 213

Can you use regular photo software to print with, like Photoshop?

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:43pm
post #201 of 213

okay, I have a problem!
I've only used my ei printer twice. I've been running test sheets of a photo that I need and they're all coming out PINK! does anybody know what the problem is?

GrandmaG Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #202 of 213

I know I read earlier that if you don't have the settings right it will not come out the right color.
How soon in advance can I make up my images if I keep them in a plastic bag?

GrandmaG Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:14pm
post #203 of 213

I know I read earlier that if you don't have the settings right it will not come out the right color.
How soon in advance can I make up my images if I keep them in a plastic bag?

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:22pm
post #204 of 213

They would last 2 mths....but you could make them a couple weeks in advance

fiddlesticks Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:56pm
post #205 of 213

dutchy1971.. I could be wrong but I don't see the E.I. letting you change the shape of it without ruining it!
chilz822.. I would think that would work ,I have never tried it though!

cupcakesnbuttercream... Could you have a problem with your print head ? what printer do you have ?
GrandmaG.. I also have made mine up a couple weeks ahead.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:48am
post #206 of 213

I recently bought the epsom nx200, I'm sad to say we've had to clean the print head almost every time I've used it, but I do love the versitility this gives you as a decorating tool. I hope someone can stir me to the right printer.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 10 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #207 of 213

I've read through this thread and it seems like everyone prefers the Epson NX200 for their EI's. But this is an all-in-one printer. I don't need all of that, just the printer. I found an inexpensive Canon printer at Walmart for $29.98 but it doesn't appear that they make EI ink for it. Anyone have a recommendation for just a printer for the EI? Thanks.

beccab456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccab456 Posted 10 May 2009 , 5:22pm
post #208 of 213

[i]I just recently purchased my Epson CX9400 printer from Staples online. I believe that it was only 109.00. They will ship for free to the store nearest you. Don't know if you have these stores. I ordered everything else through KK.

PhotoFrost Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:58pm
post #209 of 213

For just a printer only I would reccomend the Canon IP3500, great little machine and picture perfect prints.

Pinkish prints? try recleaning the print head thoroughly and if that does not work, uninstall the printer and reinstall the printer again, sounds like you may have a setting off.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #210 of 213

Thanks PhotoFrost. I appreciate the suggestion. Wish they would make refills for the smaller canon printers. Walmart had one for only $29.98. Oh well, I will check ebay to see what I can find. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%