Edible Image Printer... Which One?

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 11:11am by gingersoave

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 213

OK, i know this has been posted before... i have been searching the past forum topics and am still baffled (not to mention that most that came up were from 2005!)...

ANYONE WITH AN EDIBLE IMAGE PRINTER... i want to know what system you have, what you like and don't like about it and where did you get it for the BEST PRICE.

I am looking to buy an inexpensive printer, edible ink/refills, sheets for a new business. We are on a very limited budget but need something dependable.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kitty

212 replies
cakesbykitty Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 213

ANYONE???

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:35am
post #3 of 213

I have an epson all in one that I bought on ebay for under $60. There's nothing I don't like about it. It sits for months at a time and has never clogged on me. I purchased refillable cartridges on ebay and buy the refill kit from kopycake. They can be refilled without taking them out of the printer. They also don't require a chip resetter. The model I have is no longer available but kopykake's website has a list of epsons they sell edible ink cartridges for.

LadyBugMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyBugMom Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 213

I appreciate this post, cakes by kitty. I too am researching this subject. I found a site that sells ink and paper, in fact I beleive it's the same as the above post. As I understand it I can use my own printer and add the ink and paper. However I'm still checking in on this. I'll let you know what I find out. I won't start again until tomorrow (monday) though.
LadyBug

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 213

I agree ,I love my epson all in one. I have had it for 2 yrs and never had a problem with it even if it sets for a few weeks with out using it.
I get my icing sheets and ink from kopykake. I got mine at either walmart or Target cant remember which one cause I have 2 .
I pd just under $60 for mine on sale.
Good Luck !

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:57am
post #6 of 213

Hi Everyone!!
I also have an Epson CX 7800 ALL IN ONE printer and its a gem. I have had it for over a year. I don't have any clogging problems. I bought it off ebay of $70 and that included the shipping as well. Sometimes you can find models that are out of date on ebay. I buy the ink from kopykake and it prints picture perfect!!!

JaLa90016

cakesbykitty Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:12am
post #7 of 213

yay! thanks so much for the info guys.. keep it comin'!

LadyBugMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyBugMom Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 213

Kitty, I just went to amazon and they were to much. I then checked with the actual epson.com and found a sale one for 64.94, that's will instant rebate and shipping and handling.
Thought i'd let you know.
LadyBug

SusanaDalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanaDalia Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 213

I am not 100% sure on this, but I think when you print edible images, you have to use a new printer, or at least a printer that hasn't used "regular paper ink". I think it is because the residue would remain from the "other" cartridges, and then you are eating that too. I am not sure about this, but I could have sworn I read that somewhere.

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 213

SusanaDalia.. Yes you are right on with that statement ! You cant use a printer that had used regular ink.You have to have a printer that is going to be used for edible ink only !

SusanaDalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanaDalia Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 213

fiddlesticks, thanks! I just didn't want people buying used printers and not knowing about that and then being stuck with a printer they can't use for that purpose.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 213

Do you all prefer using the Frosting sheets or the Wafer paper? I am at the KopyKake website trying to decide which one to purchase for the printer I just purchased..........Epson CX8400.
TIA!! icon_smile.gif

Lea

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:41pm
post #13 of 213

Teekakes.. Thats the same printer I have ! Epson CX8400, I only use icing sheets. I tried the waffer paper one time and didnt care for it , But that doesent mean you wont like it !

cakesbykitty Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:53pm
post #14 of 213

thanks ladybug!!!

fiddlesticks, what didn't you like about the wafer paper? i used a frosting sheet this week (HM) and it didn't absorb right. my BC was crusted but i misted it with water first. any suggestions?

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 213

kakesbykitty.. I just think the icing sheets look nicer and are thinner.
I have never had a problem with and icing sheet absrobing .
I smooth my icing and lay it right on, though it takes a few hrs to absorb.
I put my icing sheet in the freezer for about 1-2 mins and it peels right off the backing and sticks to the icing with no problem.
I have never had my icing crust first though. I know lots of people have done that and mist it to I have never tried that .

Teekakes Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:22pm
post #16 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Teekakes.. Thats the same printer I have ! Epson CX8400, I only use icing sheets. I tried the waffer paper one time and didnt care for it , But that doesent mean you wont like it !

Terrific! So you can tell me if I am correct in ordering the TO695SET-4 for the edible ink cartridge.? According to KK's chart this is the cartridge for our printer.

Sounds like the wafer vs icing sheets is variable. I posted a thread regarding the subject. Maybe I should just order them both and see what works best for my situation. Thanks everybody and thank you Kitty for posting this thread! thumbs_up.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #17 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakesbykitty

thanks ladybug!!!

fiddlesticks, what didn't you like about the wafer paper? i used a frosting sheet this week (HM) and it didn't absorb right. my BC was crusted but i misted it with water first. any suggestions?

I don't care for the wafer paper because it doesn't completely dissolve like the icing sheets do.. I was told that if you put piping gel on it that it helps a bit, I never tried that.. I have never had a problem with the icing sheets though, even on fondant it works fine.. I mist the back of the image and stick it right on.. don't get it too wet... it will fall apart on ya... icon_redface.gif

cakesbykitty Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:19pm
post #18 of 213

I BOUGHT ONE!!!! After reading what everyone had to say, then reading all the comments on amazon.com for the different printers and doing searches on the net... deep breath... my head was spinning. I called Kopykake and talked to the nicest lady! She said get the one that's on sale! LOL. She said people have been ordering refills for the Epson workforce 30, i found one on ebay, new, unopened box, wtih usb cord for $55 including shipping! wooo hoooo! will let you all know how it works when everything finally gets here. Ordering the edible ink and sheets after i pick my son up from school icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:59pm
post #19 of 213

Teekakes.. Yes thats the one !
And I agree with CakesByLJ, The wafer sheet doesent seem to completely dissolve the way the icing sheet does . You should not even know your eating the picture at all and thats how the icing sheet works! The wafer sheet seems to be a more texture type sheet, and you kind of know its there, ya know ..if that makes any since? I guess you should just try it and see what you like better, everyones different.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:28pm
post #20 of 213

For those of you who might be still shopping for a printer/edible ink cartridges, Icingimages.com has a GREAT list that you can consult to see if the printer you are thinking of buying has compatible edible ink cartridges. (Because I'm in Canada, it took me two weeks of searching to find a printer with compatible cartridges!!!) Their cartridges were also less expensive than Kopykake's. I finally had to settle with a Canon ip3500.

Teekakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:57am
post #21 of 213

Laura & Fiddlesticks............thanks for the advice on the icing & wafer sheets. Since you are the experienced ones I will take your advice and use the Icing Sheets. Glad to know the TO695Set-4 is correct also! Glad I didn't go ahead and order earlier this afternoon........we went shopping for a while and just got home. Was happy to see these latest comments. thumbs_up.gif
Thanks so much for the priceless advice! thumbs_up.gif

Kitty.........I got mine Factory new with USB off ebay too........59.99 with free shipping and insurance. We did good!! icon_biggrin.gif

Am keeping this thread in watching so I can read what you have to say after you get yours all set up and your 1st image printed out. Do let us know!! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:27am
post #22 of 213

Good luck guys I hope it all works out for you!
Teekakes Your very welcome !

CakesByLJ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:44pm
post #23 of 213

You are very welcome Lea... I keep staring at that gorgeous cake you did icon_eek.gif Sooooo beautiful, I just love it... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Teekakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:12am
post #24 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

You are very welcome Lea... I keep staring at that gorgeous cake you did icon_eek.gif Sooooo beautiful, I just love it... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Thanks, Laura. I really enjoyed making that cake for the TD but mostly because it was my daughters 30th bday cake. It was her first "adult" landmark bday and we wanted to make it a really special one for her. I shadow-boxed all of the sugar pieces on the cake for her as a "late" extra gift. She had teary teary eyes when I gave it to her. I uploaded a picture of it if you want to see it...... http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1309277

So glad you like it!! icon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:47am
post #25 of 213

I love the shadowbox Lea... what a great idea for a keepsake.. My dd is turning 38 next month; I am really feeling old..... icon_sad.gif ok, not really icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakesbykitty Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #26 of 213

TEEKAKES... I just looked at the shadow box... pure genius! What a wonderful ideal!

Teekakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:35pm
post #27 of 213

Kitty.............THANK YOU! Give it a try sometime....it really is a beautiful keepsake!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:19pm
post #28 of 213

For those of you with the Epson CX8400, have you had any problems with clogging? How long have you let it sit without using it? I am thinking about getting one... do you think I should?

cakesbykitty Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:33pm
post #29 of 213

my printer arrived, just waiting for ink and icing sheets from kopykake... wooo hooo! will keep you all posted!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:44pm
post #30 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

For those of you with the Epson CX8400, have you had any problems with clogging? How long have you let it sit without using it? I am thinking about getting one... do you think I should?

I have the CX4200 (not the 8400) but it sits for months at a time without used and has never clogged on me. The 8400 apears to be a newer model of what I have so I can only assume these two printers are about the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%