Icing The Cake?????????

Decorating By madzack09 Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 10:35pm by Malakin

madzack09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madzack09 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 11

What is the easiest way to icing your cake with buttercream so it looks really smooth????

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 11

The Melvira method. Go to the home page and scroll down thru the articles. Melvira's Method is the one with the pic of the paint roller.

You'll never use anything else once you try this one.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 11

I bought some high-density rollers yesterday...can't wait to try the Melvira method out.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 11

Viva paper towels and a fondant smoother--works great!!! Thanks Sugarshack!! If you have the $$ to spare, get her video The Art of Buttercream--you will notice a huge difference in the looks of your cakes as far as smoothness goes by using her methods!!!! Such a great video especially if you're just starting off or if you've been doing this for years!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 11

I haven't tried the Melvira method (though I am curious), I've been happy with the results of using Viva & a fondant smoother. Not sure if this is how Sugarshack does it, but I let the BC crust for 5-10 min (in fridge if it's warm in the house) then use rub my hand over Viva, gently, to begin to smooth, finish off by gently using the fondant smoother over Viva. I actually plan ot buy Sugarshack's DVD soon, I want to know how to get those razor sharp edges.

madzack09 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the feedback...I think i will try the foam roller method. i have my first wedding cake to do on valentines day for my niece. she want 3 tier heart cake white buttercream and red and white roses with red gumpaste ribbon the bottom of each tier. how can i make the gumpaste ribbon shiny like satin ribbon? i was thinking of using luster dust and steaming it????

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 11

No offense to Melvira, but after using that method a few times, I went back to a Viva paper towel and fondant smoother. I can get a much cleaner finish than with a high density foam roller, although it is fun to do. icon_smile.gif

For your gumpaste ribbon, you can paint it with luster dust and vodka.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 11

You could watch tonedna1 video on youtube. I just posted a photo of a cake I covered in ganache using her method. I was very pleased with the results.

madzack09 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 11

thanks for the tip i will use the vodka and luster dust...thanks again

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 11

.......I haven't tried the Melvira method (though I am curious), I've been happy with the results of using Viva & a fondant smoother.......

Totally agreeicon_smile.gif 25+ yrs doing it that way.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:35pm
post #11 of 11

I tried Melvira, Tonedna1, and Sugarshacks' DVD and I like them all, have borrowed from all of them but the one's advice I use the most is Sugarshacks' DVD on BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%