Fake Cake Dilemma

Decorating By slopokesgirl Updated 3 Jan 2014 , 8:12am by gscout73

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:14pm
post #31 of 62

I would agree with OhMyGanache in that it needs to be piped a little closer together. The original picture you posted as the inspiration piece has it closer together and nearer the bottom of the cake. (side note: OhMyGanache: love your signature line! Here for cake, not for drama... sometimes that's all we get - drama!)

Slopokesgirl: First, I really admire your ability to have gone out and made your own paisley forms as well as the creative process and thought put into accomplishing it!!! I would have thrown in the towel right away. I, too, think your work is very worthy of compliments and you are being way too critical. Small tweaks are all you need. T exas F oam indeed has the forms for future reference. I think G lobal S ugar A rt does as well (I think I just saw them this morning) which is why T exas F oam might be blocked... Just a theory, folks! As well, adhering with piping gel is so easy! I'd never go back to any of the other methods I've attempted in the past. Oh, and when I'm working with dummies, I find rolling my fondant a tad bit thicker helps as well. I hope you are getting paid to do this for your friend. Your time, money invested in supplies and mental aingst are worth a lot!!!

Keep up the good work!

IzzyB1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IzzyB1979 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:34pm
post #32 of 62

I just did a faux layer on a 4 teir round and I have found that the foam because it is full of holes, when you cover it pushes out air and makes it look bumpy also buttercream works better and make sure you use a thick layer. As for your hand shaking find something to prop your arm up while you work it keeps your hand from getting too tired and shaking. Good luck remember you are your biggest critic and when its done don't tell anyone where the problems are, most of the time people won't notice them, just you.

slopokesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slopokesgirl Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #33 of 62

Will you please post the link to the page with the paisley fake cake?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

When I have to pipe like that I fill up tons of teeny parchment bags with icing. They are small enough to fit in the palm of my hand and I can hold them much like I would hold a pen and it makes it MUCH MUCH easier to pipe smoothly. ((hugs))

Exactly! Just like a pen, one handed, no stress and fatigue to the wrist!

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:04pm
post #35 of 62

A tip I learned at an ICES DOS was that when you cut foam, use an electric knife to cut it, no huge mess and the foam is super smooth wherever you cut it. Also to flatten a sharp edge say rounded edges for under fondant or just to smooth a rough patch....use your iron and wax paper and it'll smooth it right out!! HTH

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:11pm
post #36 of 62

you can also use a super hot knife to cut styrofoam-- at a show i saw a propane torch used to heat a knife to cut the foam like it was butter! at home, we put our knife on the gas flame of the stove and that worked too-- but use a knife for it and not for anything else!

slopokesgirl Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:38pm
post #37 of 62

Update:

Well, last night I plucked off the "shaky" piped lines on the cake.

And I made more fondant and covered and smoothed my lumpy dummies.

I also used a pencil to lightly sketch the design on the cakes so that I don't have to free hand with the RI.

Thank goodness that this is not an edible cake. I kinda like using the pencil. I'm a bit calmer now that the image is on there. I can concentrate on the RI tonight.

I'll update again tomorrow.

slopokesgirl Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:58pm
post #38 of 62

Updated Pictures:
LL
LL

slopokesgirl Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:32pm
post #39 of 62

The Zone:

You know what I'm talking about. The music is on shuffle on your iPod, the family is sleeping, it's just you, the cake and the piping bags. Left all alone to do.... magic.

Ok, I'm tired.. forgive the ranting. madhatter.gif But I am please with my work.

However, and this is just a little however, I noticed that I didn't leave the white border on the top part of each tier.

Oh well, too little too late for that smallish detail.

dunce.giftapedshut.gif (I'm not saying a word)

You can tell that I'm not freaking any more. My mind is mush and my will is broken. But I must say that I am pleased.

All that is left are minor details, like the board, and the holes to insert the flower bundles in.

Then I can post the final picture.

For all of you that helped me with your tips, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

The bigger tip worked! thumbs_up.gif
The thicker fondant worked! thumbs_up.gif
The taking a step back worked! thumbs_up.gif
The not being so critical of myself worked! thumbs_up.gif (Ok.. a work in progress) icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks again. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:42pm
post #40 of 62

Looks fabulous! thumbs_up.gif I just got a paisley cake pan set and just wish I can do that wonderful job when I use them.

slopokesgirl Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:51pm
post #41 of 62

Thanks for the kudos eldag. These are free hand shaped cake dummies. I couldn't find the shape I needed so I bought styro and cut them out myself.

Not as easy as I had hoped. AND, I made the boo boo of not asking my CC family where I could find the paisley shaped dummies. And of course, they knew. It would have saved me a lot of time and heart ache.

Oh well, you live, you mess up, you learn.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:15pm
post #42 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokesgirl

Will do kakeladi icon_smile.gif

I'll post my progress as I go.

I guess the reason why this is bothering me so much is that this is for a friends business. Her reputation is on the line.

But you are all right. I'll step away and try again tonight. Maybe, after the family is off to bed.

Just read the whole thread.
Great job on the whole project thumbs_up.gif , and it WAS a project. I certainly hope that your friend is paying you for the cake, this is way too big to be a favor.

Your finished cakes are great...sounds like you learned lots doing this one - isn't it satisfying to step back and say "Well, self, we DID it!"? icon_biggrin.gif

BTW where in GA?

Teresa1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa1976 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:17pm
post #43 of 62

I think it looks great. I wish I could do 1/2 as good as your first attempt. I really need to start practicing the piping thing. Great Job!!

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:25pm
post #44 of 62

They look lovely! Good job!!

Gail

slopokesgirl Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:28pm
post #45 of 62

I'll post the final picture when I'm done. I might even want to frame this one. BTW, she's only paying me for supplies. That came up to $162 roughly.

The flowers, the styrofoam, the fondant supplies.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:32pm
post #46 of 62

Slopokesgirl, those cakes look amazing! Way to slow down, take a deep breath and focus. Good luck at the show and remember, you are always your own worst enemy in these situations (but, you can also be your biggest ally!).

Great job!

gateauxdamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxdamour Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:36pm
post #47 of 62

Those look fantastic! I actually prefer the way you made the design go to the top edge. I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like a lot of blank space on a cake. Of course, that could be because blank spots show boo-boos! icon_wink.gif

Great job!

slopokesgirl Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:42pm
post #48 of 62

Ok, I'm getting major ego swellage here. Thanks guys.

icon_lol.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #49 of 62

Just read the wjole forum, I think that it looks great. Make sure that while your friend puts her name out there that she also puts your out there too. You want the credit for that cake.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:05pm
post #50 of 62

I think your cake looks great, your piping is great! We are our own worst enemies!

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:01pm
post #51 of 62

I agree that your finished product looks GREAT! I think your friend will be pleased and if she's not, well, she's crazy! I am so glad to have CC friends to share advice and I can tell you are too! Great job! You should be proud of yourself!

slopokesgirl Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:22am
post #52 of 62

IT'S FINISHED....... well, kinda.

I put it together without the base so that I can cut the holes where the flowers are going to be placed. I currently have the base drying outside. I cut a piece of MDF into a paisley shape and used black spray paint to color it.

Man I love fake cakes... you can use all sorts of stuff that you normally can't use on a real cake.

Any who... here she is in all her glory.

Thank you everyone that helped me out with this project.

And thank you to everyone that read this and thought of me even for a second.
icon_wink.gif

I appreciate all of you so much.

Side note: I think we need an emoticon that is totally wiped out sleepy.

Cause I am SO TIRED right now.
LL

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:47am
post #53 of 62

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

You go on with your bad self! icon_wink.gif

slopokesgirl Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:53am
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Quote:

You go on with your bad self!

You are sooo funny txcupcake.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:12am
post #55 of 62

i just read this whole forum and you should be proud..........this cake is magnificent!! you said your wrist is broken??????? you rock girl!!!! good luck and much success.

slopokesgirl Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:50pm
post #56 of 62

Thanks mariu,

It's healing up pretty nicely, but it was a challenge to knead the fondant.

Funny thing, I was so tired last night that I even had dreams of how tired I was.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #57 of 62

Slopokesgirl...that is one awesome job you did.....be very proud of that!!! I wish I had your piping skills....

now get some rest!!!

slopokesgirl Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:49am
post #58 of 62

SHE LOVED IT. Wow, I'm glad that is over. Thanks again everyone.

Bakki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakki Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 4:27am
post #59 of 62

Ive read the whole forum here too & I must say Im lifted by the read! To hear the whole story from woe to go & see the transformed piece is nothing short of inspirational! PAT yourself on the back! & REMEMBER to always take a step back from it all! Your work is WONDERFUL even when you think its not! Life runs you into the ground & the kids will always want your attention & the hubby will always want your attention & your wrist will give you grief BUT to see what you have done & how youve overcome a hurdle is admirable!

Well done I loved seeing the final piece! Even though I thought it was pretty darn wonderful b4! icon_biggrin.gif

Very inspiring read! And very commendable to all who gave support too! I love seeing this community rally to the aid of a fellow cake perfectionist!
Aplaud you all!

Bakki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakki Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 4:29am
post #60 of 62

[Sorry I posted twice in here I had to fix up my posts cos I accidntly posted a NEW TOPIC in the wrong spot! WHOOPS!! My bad! Then I kept getting booted b4 I could ammend! Doh! icon_cry.gificon_confused.gif ]

Just wanna add THANK you for the idea of using styrafoam Im learning more & more stuff in here & youve indirectly answered a question of mine.
I hope your friend has had MANY enquiries about the mock wedding cake now & its been showcased to MANY passersby who will in turn enquire about who made it & how much etc etc

Hope you get loads of nibbles of interest! icon_wink.gif

WELL DONE! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%