What Would You Call This Icing?

Decorating By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 7:48pm by Cakepro

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:32am
post #1 of 9

Okay, I am soooo new to cake decorating. I have a girlfriend who gave me this recipe. I have tried it and LOVE it. I typically don't like icing as it is too sweet. For whatever reason, I love this one.

2 lbs powdered sugar
2 cups Crisco
1/3 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

Beat until smooth. For you cake and icing connoisseurs, what would you call this?

Yes, my lack of experience shows. But hey, you gotta learn somehow! TIA!

8 replies
newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:40am
post #2 of 9

That's one variation of American buttercream. There are other types of buttercream that use butter, eggs, etc. but the shortening/powdered sugar versions are typically known as American buttercream.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:40am
post #3 of 9

Looks like a standard American Buttercream to me.

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 9

no egg whites or meringue powder?

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #5 of 9

American buttercream. If you like that you should try the real deal.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:49am
post #6 of 9

Wow! I thought buttercream was made with butter and was light and fluffy. This stuff is very thick. Well, see you guys have taught me something new. I think I will look up a REAL buttercream recipe. Thanks for your help!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlotusninjagrl

Wow! I thought buttercream was made with butter and was light and fluffy. This stuff is very thick. Well, see you guys have taught me something new. I think I will look up a REAL buttercream recipe. Thanks for your help!

You're right in that there are buttercreams that are made with butter and are light and fluffy, but this version is different. For some really delicious (depending on your taste, of course) try the Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC) or Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC). Or just try your recipe using butter instead of Crisco. There are several different varieties of buttercreams so do some Googling or check out the recipes section here on CC and try some of the other types. I'm a big fan of the SMBC. It's rich and buttery - but again even those recipes vary a bit so some might be more buttery than others - and lighter than American buttercream.

Experiment and have fun! You'll soon find one that stands out to you and that'll become one that you'll use many times.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 9

white trash frosting.

That's what we call it. Seriously! We use a similar icing (1 kilo pwd sugar, 8 oz butter, ½ C sour cream or yogurt, and 2 T vanilla) for piping the dam, because the icing I like to use for frosting cakes is a bit too soft and the cakes bulge a little.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 9

I would call it seriously underflavored!

1 tsp vanilla to 2c fat/2c sugar? Plus no salt to help cut the greasy feel to the palate and boost the extract flavor?

Try the Buttercream Dream recipe or, if you feel daring, Italian Meringue or Swiss Meringue Buttercream. If you love the recipe you posted, you will ADORE better flavored buttercreams. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%