Minor Carving

Decorating By IcedTea4Me2 Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 2:25pm by IcedTea4Me2

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 4

I have trouble at times with my corners being sharp or looking the way they're supposed to look straight out of the pan. I'm wondering, do some of you actually carve the cake to make it straight or do yours come out just right? Case in point.... I made a sheetcake for a child's birthday party. The corners were, well, just wimpy looking. I don't know how else to describe it. I could've cut the cake just a bit to make everything very sharp. I didn't. Do some do that, or should I just change something about my baking process? Thanks.

Lisa

3 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 4

I square up the corners with icing, take a straight spatula and hold at the end of the corner while taking another one and smoothing the side of the cake so that you run one knife passed the other to square off the corner.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 4

Make sure you are getting your cakes flat before you stack them. Bake at 325 degrees at the most and make sure you do not overfill your pans. You can take a clean dry towel and gently push down on any"hump" that is on the cake right after it comes out of the oven.

When you ice the cakes, place a little extra dab of icing on the top of the cake in each corner.
Smooth the sides, then pull the flat side of a plastic bowl scraper or a spatula across the cakes from the corners to the center, keeping your blade straight. The icing can fill out the corner and you can make a clean straight corner on your cakes.

Sometimes I will smooth the icing from the bottom of the cake to the top instead of from side to side to help on the corners.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the responses. I'll give these a shot!

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%