How Long Do Things Last?

Decorating By teswade Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm by Cakepro

teswade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teswade Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 3

There are a bunch of things I am excited to try, but I don't want anything to go to waste. I was wondering how long flowers made out of royal icing will last. How do I store it? Can i store leftover royal icing as well? If so how do I store that. I was also wondering the samething about color flow, gumpaste, and mmf. Thanks!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 3

Royal flowers last forever as long as they are kept dust & moisture free. Leftover royal only lasts a week at most. I always make just enough to use up in one sitting or know that I will get back to it for sure the next day. When I get finished w/the project I make swirl dropflowers w/any left over just to use it up. You can *always* use dropflowers! icon_smile.gif Never store it in the frig or fzr. Always at room temp. I prefer to keep it in a very tightly sealed glass jar. Plastic, if it has been used, will have grease in it and can harm your royal. Also, plastic 'breaths' so it's not air tight.

ColorFlow *is* royal. It cannot be stored. You need to use it up right then & there. Make plaques that you can use for messages on cakes if nothing elseicon_smile.gif

GP & MMF are to be wrapped tightly in several layers of plastic wrap, then into a ziploc bag; store in frig or fzr. Always bring to room temp & knead well before using. If it is rock heard, pinch off tiny pieces; work well until soft and keep doing that, adding to the 1st piece until you get it all worked. It can be put into the MicroWave oven for a few seconds (depends on how much) to help soften it. Don't over do it. And my experience is that the more often you MW it the more it hardens in storage. Only a couple of times & it no longer is workable.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 3

LOL, I've stored royal icing in the fridge for 3 weeks and it works just fine after a good brisk stir with a spatula.

The term "Color Flow" is a Wilton term for the sugar run-out technique using their product called "Color Flow mix." As was previously mentioned, the "color flow" technique can be used with royal icing, but if you decide to use Color Flow mix, you can also store it in the fridge for a few weeks.

I like having royal icing on hand for when I need to put bow loops together or pipe various things without having to make individual small batches each time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%