Ivory Colored Buttercream

Decorating By Cindys56 Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 7:47pm by Cindys56

Cindys56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindys56 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 19

I have a wedding cake to do in April and the bride would like ivory colored icing. How do I make it ivory colored? I'm very new at this so I hope this isn't a dumb question.

Thanks

18 replies
tinabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinabee Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 19

There are no dumb questions! You can either use ivory coloring or when you make your icing if you use regular brown vanilla it will make a pretty ivory shade. Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 19

I'm a brown vanilla person, too, with ivory food coloring on stand-by in case it needs to go a shade or two darker.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 19

Ivory coloring and/or real vanilla is what I do too.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 19

same here with the vanilla...and real butter. That gives it a nice ivory color too. Word of warning: DONT use brown coloring and think it will be just a light brown. It will be a light pink!! Use Ivory.

Necey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Necey Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 19

yes, I too have learned that regular vanilla will give you the lovely ivory color you need ..and...there are no dumb questions. icon_smile.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 19

Wow didn't know that. And I just made an Ivory wedding cake too!

Cindys56 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 19

Thank you all very much for helping me with this. I appreciate it. icon_biggrin.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:15am
post #9 of 19

i made an ivory shade by using a very very very very small amount of copper/skin tone. it was more on the pink side, but it turned out decent.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:40am
post #10 of 19

Just wanted to add that you may want to have her supply a swatch or something if she is particular. Her ivory may be my beige and someone else's cream....KWIM

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:01am
post #11 of 19

Just wanted to add that you may want to have her supply a swatch or something if she is particular. Her ivory may be my beige and someone else's cream....KWIM

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:11am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Maybe.

This is something that for me would never happen. By the time you try & match an off white or an ivory and get that cake into whatever lighting is going on at the venue after matching or attempting to in the lighting where you decorate I mean I don't have very much patience left and there's none to spare for that ordeal (in futility.) icon_biggrin.gif

Might work for you but no way pour moi.

(Where is PinkZ --she would be so proud of my pollyvoo francais--kinda sorta)

Cindys56 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:09pm
post #13 of 19

Thanks for more replies. She just doesn't want the bright white. I am going to make some test batches of icing with all of your ideas and let her choose which one she wants.

I just love this website. Everyone is always so helpful. Especially to us beginners....

I hope everyone has a great day. Happy baking....

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:20pm
post #14 of 19

I use regular/brown vanilla to get the ivory color.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:25pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindys56

Thanks for more replies. She just doesn't want the bright white. I am going to make some test batches of icing with all of your ideas and let her choose which one she wants.

I just love this website. Everyone is always so helpful. Especially to us beginners....

I hope everyone has a great day. Happy baking....

OMG--this again is something I would never ever do. You need to be the pro and make the decisions. She wants ivory, do ivory. The most I would go is 'dark' ivory.

This constitutes diddling in my book.

Matching ivory is like finding a needle in a haystack or something too tedious to imagine.

I encourage you to reconsider that idea.

I mean one wouldl not submit different blues for their approval or something.

Getting approval on components of a cake is asking for trouble.

Just an ivory thought for you--apparently a dark ivory thought. icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:43pm
post #16 of 19

Cindy.. if you are going to let her choose, make sure you have a PURE WHITE choice, so she can actually tell the difference..... Ivory is used in place of white in many occasions....... ( As long as it isn't chocolate, it is white ) icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:44pm
post #17 of 19

I agree with k8. Just make it.

When I have a bride who wants ivory, in a humorous style, I tell her, "sure! Ivory, off-white, cream, champagne ... it's all the same to me." which gives them the idea that this field of color is NOT an exact science.

She doesn't want white. As long as it's "not white", you'll be fine. Dont' overthink this one.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:45pm
post #18 of 19

I'm with Kate on this one! Don't show her--I did this too on my very first cake--to get the perfect shade of pink for the bride--big mistake--I had many different shades of pink just a shade apart and when you get right down to it, they just wanted pink, not my angst about the perfect shade of pink. Just a wee bit of experience talking here icon_smile.gif! Since then I've done lots of ivory cakes and my favorite is to use real vanilla to color the icing. If you do use ivory it takes like 1 drop per batch of icing--it'll go way ivory (golden) way fast!!!!

Cindys56 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:47pm
post #19 of 19

Never thought of it that way.
That could become a nightmare.
Thanks again....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%