How Many Wedding Cakes Do You All Do Per Month Or Per Year?

Decorating By Florimbio Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 5:27pm by weirkd

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 44

I was just asked this by a fellow DJ guy...he knew exacty how many weddings he did last year...So I went home and added mine up...I am just wondering what the norm is? I am a home baker, no fancy bakery, but I would love to know how many the bakery people are doing as well...Average per month per year....

Just an FYI...I did 78 last year, however I go out of town the whole month of Aug, so I do not take any cake orders the whole month...now some months I had 2 a day, some months were slower, ie...Jan, Feb..

Thanks, just wandering what the customer ratio is for home bakers vs bakerys tooicon_smile.gif

Thanks

43 replies
Florimbio Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 44

Anyone???? Hope I am not being nosey...I just realy want to know if I am doing the average or more than average?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 44

When I had my shop in my parent's renovated lower level, we were averaging about 5 or 6 per week, with as many as 12 in a weekend. I don't know if I would be ranked as a bakery or a home... we were legal, but it was a specialty, by-appointment-only type of shop - not one with ready-made cakes or anything.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 44

I'm not sure that I'm a good comparison... I did 49 wedding cakes last year. But since I do catering, also, (59 caterings) I can't book a lot on the same day or even the same weekend, depending on how big or how far away the catering is.

Our goal, this year, is to bust that bubble wide open and have catering staff-teams out in multiple bookings on a single day!

Florimbio Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 44

thanks so much...I would love to hear what other home bakers averageicon_smile.gif

It helps me set my cake goals for the new yearicon_smile.gif...but I do not want to be unreal in what my goals are....

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:32am
post #6 of 44

Before, when I was a home baker, we did about 80 per year. Last January I opened my shop and we did 123 weddings last year on top of ... maybe 300-350 bdays.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:41am
post #7 of 44

wow! I always turned wedding cakes down because I worked six days
a week and Sunday was for my boys. Since i quite my job I have 6 booked up for this year so far and two of them are in Feb. So bring on the cakes!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:53am
post #8 of 44

I do 90-100 weddings a year and I'm home based.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #9 of 44

WOW!!!!

How do y'all get so many bookings????

I have a licensed kitchen at my home and I was hoping for 36 weddings this year. Which is looking pretty unlikely since everyone is all freaked out about the economy. This is my second year/wedding season.

I must be doing something very wrong! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_sad.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:09am
post #10 of 44

Wow, is all I have to say. I have to say I still haven't made my first wedding cake, but someone is really asking me if can make a wedding cake next year for a 800 guest reception. OMG that scares me but I would love to try it. I think you guys are real lucky to make so many cakes, especially from home.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:16am
post #11 of 44

I have a storefront and we just do cakes. We did about 550 weddings last year, on top of 50 - 70 custom cakes a week, plus 50 - 75 cakes for walk-in business each week.

I bought 14 tons of powdered sugar in 2008!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:20am
post #12 of 44

I do between eight to 13 weddings a week, except on January were it goes down to 3 to 4 cause is the slow season.. I basically decorate and have an assistant..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:39am
post #13 of 44

This is such a great thread. I'm at home right now so I can't wait to get to my shop tomorrow so I can see how I compare. I was in my home for half the year and then I opened my shop and was there half the year.

Edna, I can't believe you can do that many with just an assistant. That is amazing! WOW!

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:44am
post #14 of 44

Btw Edna. How do you handle the deliveries? That's actually the only thing that scares me about taking on too many. I'm afraid about coordinating the delivery times.

tonedna Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:11am
post #15 of 44

We have 2 girls that do the deliveries, I wont do deliveries either...icon_lol.gif
Edna

tonedna Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:15am
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroskoski

This is such a great thread. I'm at home right now so I can't wait to get to my shop tomorrow so I can see how I compare. I was in my home for half the year and then I opened my shop and was there half the year.

Edna, I can't believe you can do that many with just an assistant. That is amazing! WOW!

When you have a shop with so much work you need people to help you, eventually things can get overwhelming if you try to do everything.
Is not only baking and decorating. Is appointments, ordering, administration, cleaning, deliveries, wedding cakes, party cakes. Is way too much for only one..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:44am
post #17 of 44

I guess I go on the other end. I am a home baker by myself, but this is just an on the side thing (I am licensed, though). I did 3 actual weddings last year, but quite a few showers. I also did a few birthdays. I only average 2 or so cakes a month. I haven't had one at all in January. But, I don't advertise outside too much. I have my website and give my cards out and things, but that's the extent. I am soley word of mouth and that is how I like it right now. Some day, though...some day......

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:46am
post #18 of 44

We haven't had any thing to sell in our shop everything is by pre order for 2008 we did 150 wedding cakes between me and my daughter we hired someone over the summer part time to bake for us. Starting next week we are offering gourmet flavor cupcakes to go for walk ins anyone that didnt order a cake early enough will be able to purchase cupcakes from our show case. We will have regular and minis can purchase one or more. We'll be open Wed to Sat.
We have a practium student for 3 months from Vancouver Culinary Arts Instutite working with us until March which helps.

Florimbio Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:04am
post #19 of 44

thanks for sharing everyone...I am learning soo muchicon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:07am
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

I have a storefront and we just do cakes. We did about 550 weddings last year, on top of 50 - 70 custom cakes a week, plus 50 - 75 cakes for walk-in business each week.

I bought 14 tons of powdered sugar in 2008!

HOW MANY ASSISTANTS DO YOU HAVE??!! I just looked at your photos - I will admit it was to see how sorry the cakes were that could be churned out that quickly - and you are AMAZING! I wanna be you when I grow up. Wish I could add a whole person to favorites!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:00am
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Wish I could add a whole person to favorites!

I thought the exact same thing before - so I just bookmark their photo pages to a separate folder in my browser's "favourites". I now have over 60 CC members bookmarked this way LOL.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:45pm
post #22 of 44

Wow...I see that everyone is quite different...I just counted my Weddings for 2008 - I did 83 and that doesn't count the regular birthday cakes or orders. I did them all by myself though and it seemed hard enough as it was...I'm not sure how many more I could add so I think I will definitely have to hire someone in April or May...

I was aiming for 120 this year so it definitely makes me think a bit...

classiccake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:46pm
post #23 of 44

KORYAK,

LOL, you are too funny! No, we don't do junk! My shop has won numerous awards and I encourage my decorators to compete and several have won various awards and medals.

I have six full time employees and six part time employees.

I wish I could post some of their work...I have some awesome decorators!

I don't do a whole lot of decorating...just special projects and PITA customers. It takes so much time to run the place and supervise the work. The 90th birthday cake I just posted was for a customer from Florida who is having a party for her mother today. She only called us about 12 times.....high maintenance. I said I would do that cake so if she wasn't happy, she could blame me. icon_wink.gif [/quote]

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm
post #24 of 44

I work from my home and do everything myself. I try to keep it to 3 weddings a weekend, but I can do 5 or 6 if they're spread out over Friday-Sunday. It does get difficult with the delivery times, if things conflict I end up turning down business. I counted it up and last year I did 108 wedding cakes, and groom's and other ones on top of that. The year before I did 120 weddings, if I remember correctly. I was slacking off last year icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:20pm
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I do 90-100 weddings a year and I'm home based.

I had no idea that you were homebased!! I envisioned that you had a shop! So what part of the house did you renovate? And if you don't mind to share.. about how much did you spend on your kitchen? And do you have a separate office for meetings?

Thanks! This is what I'm interested in doing in a year or so. Just trying to get everything planned out right now!

Celeste

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:41pm
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

LOL, you are too funny! No, we don't do junk! My shop has won numerous awards and I encourage my decorators to compete and several have won various awards and medals.

Let me second that! Classiccakes is pretty much THE cake shop in this town. She sets the standard and it's pretty high. CC'ers, when classic joined this site, we gained talent and expertise that is WAY up there! thumbs_up.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:01pm
post #27 of 44

I am absolutely blown away reading this!!! I can't believe that you all can churn out that many cakes. I just started decorating, but it takes me forever. Yesterday, I made a 2-tiered birthday cake for a Sweet 16 party. With baking both tiers, cooling, torting, making the frosting, getting it smooth (or trying to icon_wink.gif ), and finally doing the actual decorating, I'd be too embarrassed to say how long it took me.
Then, I read this thread and learn that you do 2 or 3 wedding cakes in a weekend. I'm amazed!! Hopefully, speed and skill will come with practice and time.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:30pm
post #28 of 44

Wow. You guys do a ton of cakes! Im afraid if I take on that much that I would screw something up! How long have you guys been in business to get that many of orders?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:20am
post #29 of 44

I've been in business for ten years...The speed will come with time. It used to take me a lot longer to do one cake, but I did one yesterday from taking it out of the pan to being done with it in about 1 1/2 hours. It depends on the cake, of course, but once you get into your routine it gets faster.

classiccake Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:50am
post #30 of 44

I have had my store for 14 years, but have been decorating for 35 years,
so that makes me old, er, experienced!

When you do something again and again, you get fast. Plus, the more cakes you do, and the larger your equipment, you can really pump then out.......lots of icing colors already made, large batches of icing (75 pounds of icing in one batch), we can mix up a 50 pound bag of cake mix at a time.

It is alot different than the home baker...I've done both!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%