Where Can I Find These?

Decorating By AllyCake90 Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm by MBoyd

AllyCake90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyCake90 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 8

I need to find some brushes to do brush embroidery with, where can I find some that are food safe? [I hate to order them online, do they have them at JoAnn's or Michaels?]

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 8

I use the cheap plastic craft brushes, like kids use with watercolor and poster paints. I have a set that I only use for cake decorating and I wash them in the dishwasher. When they wear out, I just buy a new set, but they still last for years. I run them through a dw cycle straight out of the package just to make sure they don't have any mfg residue on them.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, you can also find them at school supplies, etc.You can use any new art brush in the appropiate size.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 8

You can buy a 3-pack of brushes by Wilton at various crafts stores, although I think the vast majority of us use regular paintbrushes that you buy in the fine art department at the same stores.

slopokesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slopokesgirl Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 8

Yes you can get them at Michaels. icon_smile.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 8

i use makeup brushes too! just like prterrell, I run them through the dishwasher and air dry. They are better than craft brushes because they are meant to pick up lightly - nothing worse than a blob of blush!

Becscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becscakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 8

I also bought a good set of make up brushes, good ones so they dont looes hairs and in the set there are heaps of different shapes and sizes. I washed them in a diswasher first and keep them in a screw top plastic container to keep them clean.

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 8

I've found that the cheap, stiff brushes work better than the softer, fine (expensive) brushes for doing brush embroidery. The stiffer brush makes a more obvious texture when you pull it through the RI.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%