Is Red Velvet Supposed To Be Chocolatey?

Decorating By adven68 Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 2:51pm by adven68

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 9

Hi guys...
I have never tasted or made red velvet cake. I found a few recipes, some have very little cocoa powder...other's have a lot.

Is it supposed to taste chocolatey or is the cocoa simply to enhance the color along with the red food coloring?

Thanks!

8 replies
Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 9

I don't have any answers for you.... but I am interested in seeing what everyone else has to say...

I have always wondered about this myself!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 9

Not much on the chocolate flavor, more like a German chocolate

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 9

It's basically a german chocolate cake with red food coloring. It's not super chocolaty. I think it's yummy. icon_smile.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 9

Hmmm... to me it's a tangy buttermilk cake with a hint of chocolate.

Recipes that use butter are tastier, have more flavor but if it's served cold, the cake will be too firm and somewhat dry.

Recipes that use oil may not be as rich as butter cakes but keeps its tenderness and moistness even when cold.

I prefer butter and just make sure I bring the cake to room temp before serving.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 9

A true Red Velvet recipe only has several Tablespoons of cocoa. Without the coloring, how chocolatey can that really be? The cake gets its unique flavor from the buttermilk and vinegar (at least from my recipe).

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 9

Typically they have very little chocolate flavor.

I have found that most red velvet cakes are disappointing on the taste side. If it weren't for the icing it would be rather blah.

But, they say you eat with your eyes first.... and the color is a WOW.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 9

I had a red velvet cookie last weekend that my mom bought from a local bakery. YUM!!! I don't think I've ever had red velvet anything before, but it sure was tasty. It was just slightly chocolatey, not too much. I agree that it's a unique flavor. After tasting the cookie, I think I'll have to give baking a red velvet cake a shot one of these days (and try not to eat it all). icon_smile.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 9

thanks to all.....this really helped me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%