Larger Cake Boards?

Decorating By missdaisycakes Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 5:45pm by SusanaDalia

missdaisycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missdaisycakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 12

Hi, I'm pretty new to the cake thing...I usually just make cakes for my family and special occassions. But I was just asked by a good friend to make a a cake for her 40th Birthday. My question is she wants a 2 tier cake. What i'm confused with is I use the cake board under each tier and stack it with dowels, but what do I do once it is done? What do I put on? On a larger cake board? I'm confused? At home I just put it on my cake platter. So since I will take it to her I don't want to take my platter and have the possibility losing it. So what do you guys do?

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 12

I make completely disposable cake boards by hot glueing several cardboard rounds together and then cover them in either scrapbooking paper or wrapping paper, whatever fits the theme and colors, and then add some ribbon to the edge to tie in with the cake. Here are a couple of mine. I don't charge any extra for these, they come with the cake....if someone wants to pay to rent a nice silver plateau then they can...otherwise this is what they get.
LL
LL
LL

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 12

You put a lot of work into your cake boards KHalstead. They are fabulous!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 12

This has really helped me as well! Thank you so much for explaining!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the polka dotted one!! Its awesome!

Im so glad you asked missdaisycakes !

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 12

For an 8" cake I use 10" cake boards. I usually use two to three taped (double sided is great) together depending on the weight of the cake. I then cover them with foil (the special foil made just for this puspose. White on the bottom silver or gold on top). You can find it in the scrapbooking/cake/wedding section at Wal-Mart.

KHalstead Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 12

thanks for the compliments..I forgot to add that when I get to the site I just stick a little square of non skid shelf liner on the decorative board and then set the cake on top of that, so the cake never really comes into contact with the board for those of you that are going to tell me that not all contact papers are food safe.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:55am
post #7 of 12

Hi Missdaisycakes and welcome to CC!

You can also use foamcore board (you can buy it from Michael's, Walmart and even some Dollar Store's carry them) and cover them with the various papers Khalstead mentioned. Depending on the size/weight of the cakes you may want to double up on this too if you do not get the 1/2" thick ones. I've just doubled up using 2 - 3/16" boards together as I can pick these up from the dollar store. I then just trace a circle the size needed and cut them with a box cutter or exacto knife. You could also cover your cake board with fondant.

HTH!

BTW, Khalstead you did a great job on those cakes and the boards.

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:15am
post #8 of 12

Wow Khalstead! I love that idea for your cake boards! I have just gotten into checking these forums (I used to just look at the pics) but your cake boards alone are worth all of the hours i have "wasted" in the forums recently. Thanks for sharing!

KHalstead Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 12

thanks you guys!!

SusanaDalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanaDalia Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:02am
post #10 of 12

KHalstead, do you use a glue stick for the top of the board, and then maybe hot glue for the ribbon?

SusanaDalia Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:23am
post #11 of 12

bump

SusanaDalia Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:45pm
post #12 of 12

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%