My First Experience With Antonia's Ri .. Sorry Its Looooong!

Baking By GayeG Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm by shiney

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 10

Good Morning Everyone,
Let me just first say this ... This is a little long, so please forgive me, I tend to rattle sometimes .. And I wasnt quite sure "where" to post this, since the last week in the forums things have gotten kinda nasty in places, and I dont want that to happen to me icon_lol.gif And it really "isnt" about Cookies, guess it could be in Cake Disasters or a few others but ... here I am MOST comfortable .. so with that said, on to MY first experience with Antonia's RI.

Yesterday
7:30 a.m.
Wow, only 2 grandbabies at Nani's today! 2 yr old and 4 mo old ... I think I will get my RI done for my large order this week-end! I havent tried Antonia's recipe yet and am soooo looking forward to it! I've heard to many praises! So here we go ...

7:35 a.m.
Now just WHERE are my measuring spoons?? The 2 yr old LOVES to "help" w/my cookies and is notorious with "stealing" things as such from the drawer! Eww, I found the tsp. So lets see, yes, I THINK its 3 tsp to make a Tbl ...

7:45 a.m.
All mixed together and mixer started ... slow speed, and watching intently after Cookieman said his just made a big wad in the mixer ... no wad so far ... good sign!

7:50 a.m.
4 mo old DEMANDS bottle ... ok, ok, I have 5 min layover time, I can at least get him started! Bottle warmed and into pretty mouth ...

7:53 a.m.
What IS THAT smell???? Baby down, Grandma up ... Running to mixer ... icon_eek.gif OMG! Smoke is filling the room and mixer is MAD! hmmm .. No more thick than the usual RI recipe I use ... icon_cry.gif As I pat it on its pretty little motor, I realize it's time on Earth is over ... RIP little mixer, you were a good friend for a long time ..

8:00 a.m. Baby fed and cooing ... Now, I sure dont wanna throw out ALL that RI, it only had 5 MORE mins to finish right?? icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe just wisk it a little longer than the 5 mins, but should be ok ... right?? Where is my wisk ????

8:15 a.m. As I make my way to the med. cabinet to find band-aids ... I think to my self ... Cookies?? Are they so worth all it??? And my answer is ... O YEAH! I so love it! icon_lol.gif

And YES! Antonia's RI was perfect! I do love it! thumbs_up.gif It was a beautiful bowl of Icing - much better than the OTHER recip I used! However .. I WILL wait till I get a NEW mixer b4 trying it AGAIN!!!

Thanx for letting me Ramble ... Happy Baking Everyone!

9 replies
TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 10

You are too funny! icon_lol.gif Glad you liked Antonia's recipe! I couldn't do without it!

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 10

I loved the recount of your first Antonia74's RI experience icon_smile.gif I just started decorating cookies this past summer and have had so much fun with it, and now I wish I knew how to do this when my kids were little. Now my "baby" boy is 16 and my eldest son is 20. But after reading your little story, I realize what a challenge it would have been having little ones around because of the time, work, and mess involved. Hopefully I'll still be doing this when/if I have grandbabies. It would be so much fun! I'm glad you liked the recipe - I love it - and happy baking!

GayeG Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 10

Thanx Tracy! My philosophy in life is thats it way to hard anyway .. to take it too serious! icon_wink.gif

And I really DO love the Icing! So creamy (and thick! *ouch*) Its my NEW Fav.!

GayeG Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles13

I loved the recount of your first Antonia74's RI experience icon_smile.gif I just started decorating cookies this past summer and have had so much fun with it, and now I wish I knew how to do this when my kids were little. Now my "baby" boy is 16 and my eldest son is 20. But after reading your little story, I realize what a challenge it would have been having little ones around because of the time, work, and mess involved. Hopefully I'll still be doing this when/if I have grandbabies. It would be so much fun! I'm glad you liked the recipe - I love it - and happy baking!

Thax Pebbles! Yes - quite the challenge! with little ones! Bonus for them coz there's ALWAYS something in Grandmas Cookie Jar! thumbs_up.gif And if your like me, you'll just keep perfecting them - so by the time you DO have babies again ... You'll have "Mastered the Mess!"

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 10

What a great story of your day!!!

I have a question though, what is the icing like when it dries?

Is it shiny? Is it tasty? Does it break all up when you bite the cookie?

Oh, gee, I wish I had a cookie now! icon_cry.gif

Hazel

GayeG Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHazel

What a great story of your day!!!

I have a question though, what is the icing like when it dries?

Is it shiny? Is it tasty? Does it break all up when you bite the cookie?

Oh, gee, I wish I had a cookie now! icon_cry.gif

Hazel

Well, just speaking from my FIRST expierence - But Im sure TracyLH and many others could answer better ...

It dries hard and stackable just like other RI's. No, not shiny .. I added some flavorings the last 2 mins of my (infamous) wisking, and tasted yummy to me, kinda takes the meringue taste away ... And did not break all up when bitten into, but wasnt all HARD and crunchy either!
I totally reccommend anyone trying it, and see how nice it is yourself! You'll be glad you did!

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks!

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 10

I have only been using Antonias RI since Christmas and I love it. I swayed a little once and tried a glace. I did like the taste but it was very hard to work with and did not like how things turned out. I am now a true blue Antonias RI girl!!! I have just started dabbing a little in RBC but always use Antonias RI for accents and so on. It is easy to make, I like the taste, and easy to work with. I have had rave reviews from others on the taste also. I use clear vanilla extract in the recipe. All my cookies in my gallery are made with it!!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles13

Pebbles: I too abandoned my RI after tasting TG and thought I'd never go back to RI, but with a little push from TracyLH I decided to give Antonia's recipe a try, and I LOVE IT!
Less than a year decorating? icon_surprised.gif Girlfriend, you were born with that talent?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%