Responding To Alias Or Anonymous Posts

Decorating By JanH Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 1:28am by Heath

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:19am
post #1 of 55

There have been a number of members opening new CC accounts so that they can post anonymously via an alias username.

My feeling is that these individuals fall into two different categories:

1. Anonymous/Alias because they HAVE to initiate a thread
about a heartfelt and important matter that just happens
to be about a controversial subject. (Let's start some
sh$t and see how worked up the OTHER members get!)

2. Anonymous/Alias because they WANT to respond to
legitimate posts/thread with comments guaranteed to
initiate hostilities on as many levels as possible.
(Don't I have a right to my opinion, freedom of speech,
etc.)

Whatever motivates these members, my response will be the same.

I will be responding to any and all new member posts, if their first comments are to introduce themselves or ask for help, etc. as is customary.

But I will not be responding to any new member posts if their
first comments/posts:

1. Create a post/thread on any "hot" topic know to create
divisiveness between certain segments of the CC
community. (An example would be, What's wrong w/using
someone else's cake photos, etc...)

2. Post responses to legitimate posts/threads that are
imflammatory and serve no useful purpose except
to get a "rise" out of other members...
(Insert any of the current anonymous posts.)
And then defend their less than courteous posts under
the guise of freedom of speech, or the right to have an
opinion....

If members want my input, I want to know who I'm addressing. (I'm not everyone's cup of tea - but I'm always me.)

I'm not going to argue with the wind (waste my time) when so many legitimate, new and established CC members are available (that want help, advice or just to chat).

I feel that NOT RESPONDING to the anonymous/alias posts/threads will SPOIL THEIR FUN. So that's what I'm going to do - not respond.

Please share your feelings on the anonymous/alias posts. And how you expect to respond to their posts in the future.

Thanks for your input.

JanH (Always have been, always will be. But not the avatars the avatars will change along w/my signature lines.)

54 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:24am
post #2 of 55

I curious how YOU know that these new accounts are aliases. I don't have a beef with anything you wrote, but how do you have access to that info?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:39am
post #3 of 55

Well, because I can read.... icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerwee

I don't want to get into it with everyone here, cause i really love you guys, but I want to say something & I felt it was best to do it annonymously (sp?)

taken from this thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-616314-.html

As for other members w/multiple accounts...

When a brand new member makes four less than courteous comments all on the same day in the same post (with no previous posts) and none since - it makes me go, ahhhhh. icon_rolleyes.gif

For examples, please see these threads:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-616509-.html

HTH

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:42am
post #4 of 55

I agree with JanH, I am just ignoring them and trying to keep it light and helpful. I just look to the stars "forum addicts" for guidance when in need of constructive comments and lots of laughs. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:55am
post #5 of 55

Thank you, JanH! Very well said! Until recently, I never thought about anyone creating a second account just so they could say something mean. I had considered us all to be friends here, but in the past year, some threads have been downright nasty. So...that being said, I will pay better attention to who is saying what, and I will refrain from responding to anything which appears to be trying to stir things up.

And btw, JanH...I like you a lot, you are always there to help when someone needs info. That makes you "my cup of tea" any day. Keep being you! Because YOU ROCK!!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #6 of 55

Well as you probably know I've been here almost 6 months now, same name since day1 and almost 1000 posts so you know I need to get a life icon_lol.gif .

On a serious note..........until recently, I hadn't noticed this "alias" or "anonymous" practice here on CC. Lately, they've become a real "cancer" in some threads and that's why I posted that if we ignore them, they will go away. (in fact, my post is in that very thread that JanH linked here).

I don't have the time or patience to give these "cowards" the time of day. Yes, they're cowards because they don't have the nerve to show us who they are.

So as far as what I plan to do in the future. If I see a post started by one of these people, I too will ignore it and not post in it. If I see a post in a thread by them trying to inflame the thread, I will ignore that post and not refer to what they post at all.

It's a shame that a small percentage of people will try to ruin a good thing. Well, they can't ruin it if we don't allow them to. So to all the REAL members of CC that actually contribute to this site in a constructive and helpful way, let's come together and banish these frauds once and for all.Image

P.S. I hope you guys like my cool emoticon, I just learned how to do that yesterday and I'm just so excited about it icon_razz.gif

cakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjen Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:12am
post #7 of 55

i'm glad this was posted JanH.... for myself, not so new to the site but newly addicted to the forums, i don't think i would've noticed one way or the other, and i'm trying to be helpful in threads so i might've posted trying to be cool or something icon_redface.gif

but know that i've been "schooled"... i shall no longer post in "racy" threads either!

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:19am
post #8 of 55

Hi ladies!!!

Great paln Jan.

DKelly, do tell how you get the cute emotions!

Hazel

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:20am
post #9 of 55

i think what it all boils down to, and correct me if i am wrong, but my first grade teacher said it best...

If you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all.

you can tell someone there tush looks huge in those pants without being rude, spiteful or distasteful. if you cannot keep comments going in a positive way, keep them to yourselves.

Alot of people hold their breath when they put a peice of their work on display for the public eye, and it is wonderful that we have a place such as this to exhale and receive honest constructive criticism and learn from one another... the best advice we can all give each other is to be kind, and think before we speak. I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has helped me and answered my newbie questions and never made me feel like i was the 1000th person who has asked.

if you feel like you have to be anonymous to express yourself, think about it before you do. Most people, most comments are meant with love, not spite.

IMHO of course.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:24am
post #10 of 55

I'm with you, JanH.

JEM530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JEM530 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:27am
post #11 of 55

Very well said JanH!

I am trying to be a sponge on this site! I am here for advice, tips, hints, ideas and maybe a few laughs. It makes me sad when people just try to get people angry or try to make a statement that has nothing to do with cakes, cookies, candies etc.

I appreciate everyone's expertice, advice and all around generosity!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:28am
post #12 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHazel

Hi ladies!!!

Great paln Jan.

DKelly, do tell how you get the cute emotions!

Hazel

Hi Hazel, you just go to a site like the one below, right click on one you like (control c to copy) and then paste (control v) in your post.

http://www.tech-faq.com/emoticons/Misc/emoticons.shtml

It only took me 4 days and a zillion tries to get it right thumbs_up.gif

Good luck,
Deb

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:39am
post #13 of 55

Thanks so much DKelly!!! Sounds simple enough, especially when someone else figured it out for you.

Hazel

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:44am
post #14 of 55

I agree completely! judge.gif As long as we don't respond, they won't have anything to do! I had never thought (or noticed I guess) until OE when we played a great game of CCC trying to figure out Ktbug & cakelurker. Then it seems they started popping up elsewhere. I have to admit I feel a bit guilty about the "anerwee" post cause I saw it while browsing the lounge & then asked OE if anyone else had seen it. ... Does that make me an accessory to CC fraud? icon_cry.gificon_razz.gif I just thought it was a bit of a weird post you know?

Lets all agree here and now to shun those who seem iffy & get back to good old fashion cake decorating. thumbs_up.gif

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:47am
post #15 of 55

I agree. There have been waaaaay too many nasty threads on here recently. thumbsdown.gif I know Heath and Jackie lock threads when they get nasty but maybe they should start deleting user accounts who make the nasty posts (or do they already so that?). Even if that does not keep the trouble makers from getting another account it might keep people from voicing their opinion on what could become nasty thread (as in they don't want to be taken the wrong way and banished from CC) and therefore there will be one less opinion for someone to take offense with. Does that make sense?

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox icon_redface.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:05am
post #16 of 55

I agree, I tend to stay away from the more inflammatory threads because I belong to another website where it's drama on a daily basis. I come here to relax and chat with good people about our common interests, share thoughts, ideas and tips, and have some fun too.

Jan, thank you and thank you for the many kindnesses you have extended to us by posting information and links. You are very helpful and very appreciated.

Best,
Karen

Christie_H Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christie_H Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:11am
post #17 of 55

I'm new to posting at this site but have been a member of several other online forums for many years. Alts and Trolls are an issue in almost every online community to varying degrees. Some forums have a feature that allows you to place another member on "ignore" where you don't see their posts and/or threads, but I doubt such a thing would ever be necessary here. I've always found that if the majority of the members don't cater to the alts behavior, they eventually grow bored and move along. Still, I'm pleased to see the topic addressed. It shows that the members care about keeping the site a positive place for everyone.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #18 of 55

I once heard Martha Stewart say (and I'm paraphrasing), that good manners is nothing more than the ability to make people around you feel comfortable regardless of the situation.

Not an easy task, because what some see as witty-sarcasm, others see as hurtful and mean. One thing I find very effective, is to never attack the other person's point of view (no matter how stupid it is LOL), because once you do, they stop listening and start planning their defense.

Instead, I say something like hmm... that's an interesting point of view, I've always thought...(insert words of wisdom here). Since there was no outright attack, there's no need for them to defend, and I find they are more likely to at least listen to my point of view.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:00am
post #19 of 55

I have to say I love this place and have always gotten helpful replies to all my questions, but I have notice lately a lot of hurtful replies in the forums. Most get called on it, others, not so much. I just don't see a reason to be hurtful. And if you need to be annonymous to say something maybe you shouldn't say it.

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:18am
post #20 of 55

Thank you JanH.

I agree with you one hundred per cent.

Karen

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:29am
post #21 of 55

I agree with you Janah. If at any moment I made a post that offended anyone, I sincerely apologize. I have been a member for more than a year but just recently got addicted to the forums. It had not even crossed my mind that someone would get an alias to instigate on purpose. This is a great place to learn and share whatever little or much knowledge we have . I will not respond to any of those instigators.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:31am
post #22 of 55

I thought I was being paranoid when, all of a sudden, it seemed like there were newbies popping out of nowhere....

you are wiser than I am....thanks Janh for the insight.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:54am
post #23 of 55

Great idea.

We kinda need some kind of code to alert us to pipe down and and let it go. I mean we should all go into their profile and look up their other posts--look and see that they ony have one post stuff like that.

But what kind of 'code' can we have to alert maybe some of the unsuspecting amongst us that someone is trying to stir the pot. Any ideas?

Maybe some of us in this thread can get a stock pm read to zap over to someone to help them 'get it' and then they can go back and delete their response to the anonymous meanie?

Am I over thinking this?

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:37pm
post #24 of 55

Diasy1993 - I totally agree. I don't know if they already delete people or not, but I think it would be a good idea. Not after the first offense necessairily but maybe give the offender 3 warnings then they are deleted. 3 strikes & your out you know? They would have to restrict people from using the same email account to reopen a new CC account too though, cause otherwise people would just turn right around & come back. ... And we can just ignore those people. If you really have to hash it out with someone, do it via email or PM. Keep the rest of us peaceful, cake lovin foodies out of your battles.

icon_confused.gif My fingers never know when to stop! icon_lol.gif

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm
post #25 of 55

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm going to go against the tide. I don't think ppl are doing this to be mean. I think they want to express themselves but yet not take the beating. KWIM? A lot of times I dont post on certain topics b/c I feel some ppl will get on their high horse and jump all over me for stating my opinion.

I also find some ppl hypocritical. They post here about meanies yet I find some of their replies are mean. If you do call them out on it, they're just giving you the 'straight talk' or not 'sugar-coating' things for you. I'm seeing a lot of gray area. Yeah, sure, there are prolly some ppl doing this just for kicks and others no.

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:47pm
post #26 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM530

Very well said JanH!

I am trying to be a sponge on this site! I am here for advice, tips, hints, ideas and maybe a few laughs. It makes me sad when people just try to get people angry or try to make a statement that has nothing to do with cakes, cookies, candies etc.

I appreciate everyone's expertice, advice and all around generosity!

I agree. I'm a newbie also and I still kick myself for not joining earlier. I've only completed 2 courses from the Wilton classes but i've learned tons from here and would hate it see this site tainted by rude comments. I just love this place icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:58pm
post #27 of 55

There is an ignore button. Click on the poster's profile, and in the left column is the button. Just click on it and they are 'gone'.

CakeDiva70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva70 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:03pm
post #28 of 55

I very seldom post, but I am today. Thanks JanH for this thread. I read a lot of the threads and they can be so nasty at times. We all have too much going on for the negativity, and I like how you said it best............ I am not going to argue with the wind. JanH has been so helpful to MANY people on this site. I read posts all the time, and I see where she really helps us. So in my most humble opinion, start sh*t some place else. People on this site are serious about their craft, and we do not need nor want the negativity here.

Kudos to voicing your opinion..............

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm
post #29 of 55

7yyrt

LOL, I love it

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:10pm
post #30 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

There is an ignore button. Click on the poster's profile, and in the left column is the button. Just click on it and they are 'gone'.

Does this just block their pm's, or make any posts in the forums by them invisible to you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%