Hate This Stupid Storm!

Lounge By CakesByJen2 Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm by amy81

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 8

I've been stuck at home with my kids for three days now, and they are driving me crazy! No school tomorrow either icon_cry.gif . They aren't being so terrible i guess, but they're just HERE, ALL the time. I'm the kind of person that needs peace and quiet and a lot of time to myself, and I start to get really irritable if people are around all day. The last two days we couldn't even leave the house; hopefully tomorrow we can. Yesterday wasn't so bad, and I decided just to make the best of being stuck at home and get caught up on housework. BUt after everyone being home all day today, you can't even tell I did anything, and is so frustrating!

We had snow Sunday night, then sleet and snow Monday night, and freezing rain Tuesday. After that, another inch of heavy, wet, snow today. Our trees are losing branches left and right, but I'm very thankful that we still have power, though the cable's out, so we're bored to death with no TV to help keep everybody entertained. I know a lot of people have lost power, so we are very lucky we haven't. I just hope it stays that way!

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 8

Jen, you're not one of those cable-generation kids who don't know that you can switch your TV from cable to "antennae" to watch local channels, are ya? (I worked with a couple of young folks who had no idea TV worked without cable.)

we lucked out with no ice .... I feel for ya, hon!

cakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjen Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:00am
post #3 of 8

firstly, awesome SN icon_biggrin.gif

second, i'm sorry to hear you're having cabin fever! if only you just had tons of cakes and such to work on to keep you happy!!

i wish i was cooped up for 3 days, but since i work across from where i live, they don't believe in snow days...

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:20am
post #4 of 8

I hear ya, sister. DH was home from work today, the kids home from school, and I am about to lose it. I just saw on Accuweather that another storm is heading our way for next Monday/Tuesday, too. Boooo.

I did manage to sneak out of the house and go to Michael's today. I was the only one in the place other than employees.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:25am
post #5 of 8

Dont you just love those had-to-get-out-Michaels trips?!! I do that somedays and it is so much fun to pick up little knickknacks..I get back to the restaurant in a much better mood.....ah!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:03am
post #6 of 8

Jen, did you know you can watch free tv shows on your computer? I do all the time. ABC.COM, CBS, cartoons.

At least it might take the edge off. (Kids, I mean!)

http://www.fancast.com/full_episodes

icon_smile.gif

edited to add: I used to make playdough and then we also played twister, charades, and goofie "made up" silly games to keep occupied. icon_smile.gif

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 8

Well, thankfully our power is still on, and the cable came back on last night right after I posted (of course there was nothing worth watching on and we ended up watching DVD's anyway). But we are all suffering from cabin fever. This morning I decided we were all going to the community center so I could workout and make the kids run and swim to burn off all their excess energy. Well, after fighting with my 13 yo for half an hour about it (she didn't want to go because her acne is really bad this week and she didn't want anyone to see her), we carefully made our way over there (main roads were clear, but had to watch out for downed power lines in the neighborhoods) only to find it was closed because they declared a state of emergency and designated the center as a shelter, so they closed it for general use. The frustrating part was that there was absolutely NO ONE there for shelter. It was just sitting there empty, while all these kids are out of school with nothing to do! I was so made at myself for not checking first, but I knew they were open yesterday when it was much worse, so figured it'd be open today....

Oh, and yes, Debi, I do know that you can watch TV without cable icon_razz.gif (But that's only for another week or so, isn't it?) But we can't get in much or very clearly, so it's not worth it. We didn't have cable until I was 16, back in the 80's (back when there were still music videos on MTV, the good old days). Up until then, the only remote control we had was ME. Heck, we didn't even have a color TV until I was about 12! My daughter can't believe we managed without color TV, cable, the internet, and cell phones icon_lol.gif

amy81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy81 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 8

Our power went off yesterday around 7am. Luckily my parents only live a mile from us and they have a generator and gas stove and fireplace. So right now my husband, son, and I are staying with them until our electric comes back on. My brother and his wife and two kids are here also so it's starting to get pretty cramped. They are saying it could be up to three days before it comes back on. icon_sad.gif Hopefully it won't be that long. I know a lot of people don't have any heat right now. I heard them say on the news this morning that it could be mid-February before everyone gets power back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%