Sprinting Thistles Cake

Decorating By Dustykins Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm by sugarbees

Dustykins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustykins Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 7

My son is a quirky kid. He'll be turning 4 next month and he says he wants a sprinting thistle cake (they're kind of the "bad guys" in the TinkerBell movie - basically running weeds). I'm not really great (or experienced) at cake decorating, but I know this is not something I'm going to be able to just run to Wal-mart and order (especially since I can't find a stinkin' picture).

Can someone help me figure out how to do this for him? (and I'm serious, my decorating skills are very, very limited, I made a bathtub cake for his first birthday, but that was pretty much just smearing some icing on after we cut a hole in it). Thanks in advance!

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:39am
post #2 of 7

I wish I could find a pic, then maybe I could give you some ideas! But, I've never seen the movie (don't have kids of my own), so I have NO idea what they look like.

Dustykins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustykins Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:02am
post #3 of 7

I've found a picture, but I still don't really know what to do.

Any ideas?

cor39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cor39 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 7

The only thing I can think of is an image transfer. At my local grocery store I have taken pics that would be too difficult to replicate and they put it on transfer paper (edible images from the grocer's bakery). That would be my .2 worth.

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 7

You can make them out of gumpaste or fondant, you can mold the shape of looks like sort of a mushroom and cut little slivers of fondant/gumpaste and put them on the already molded gumpaste/fondant and it should look great!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 7

i like the image idea, its the simplest.
you could do a buttercream transfer, i think its explained in the articles somewhere. or just pipe the image onto a cake.
or cut out cake, so its lying flat, and looks like the right shape, and pipe the buttercream on.
or else its stacking which doesnt sound like you want to go for.
i like the model idea too though, it might take a while, but not too complex. good luck!
xx

sugarbees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbees Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 7

I can't really help but I think I will have to watch the movie now.. they look like they wouldn't be to hard to pipe on a cake though..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%