Home Business Cake Payment

Business By sugarcheryl Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 2:36pm by cakesdivine

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 15

I know this was discuss before but I was wondering how do you handle payment from you customer. Do you only accept cash and checks? What about credit cards?

14 replies
newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 15

Cash. I'll take a check if it's someone I know well - otherwise, cash.

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 15

Paypal also works for me.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 15

When I worked from home, I took credit cards, but you really need to have a good bit of volume to justify the expense of having one of those machines in your house.

People tend to spend more if they pay with plastic, than if they pay with cash. I think the stat is something like 22% or 28% more.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 15

Cash, checks and credit cards, but I have a separate biz where I really have to accept credit cards. Then the final balance I pretty much require them to use PayPal.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 15

I accept cash, cheques and credit cards through Paypal. I have actually had clients tell me that they called me over competitors because I accept credit cards - they like to collect their points!

Claricakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claricakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:37am
post #7 of 15

When using the PayPal method do you charge the customer the fee or do you write it off? Also is this PayPal safe? How fast does it post to your account? Sorry for the questions...... I really need some good advice.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:48am
post #8 of 15

I'm not sure how Paypal works, but in the agreement with MC, VISA, etal, you are not allowed to charge the customer the credit card fees.

You can discount for cash ... but you can't charge extra for credit.

As with anything legal .... all things could vary by state.

Before you add any fees to your customer's invoice, check with Paypal first to see if they have a policy in place. It seems I recall seeing "something" about it (in my heavy ebay-buying/selling days), but I just can't recall.

Claricakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claricakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:54am
post #9 of 15

I kinda figured it was not right to charge them for the convience. Thanks so much!

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:06am
post #10 of 15

With credit card with out Premier account

4.9% + $0.30 USD (limit of 5 transactions per 12 month period)** for domestic or U.S. transactions

2% + applicable Fees Fees for cross border payments

4.9% plus $0.30 USD for card payments received using PayPal on Skype

Premier/Business account

1.9% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:17am
post #11 of 15

I find the convenience of accepting Paypal (credit cards) probably pays for itself in getting more orders (some people probably order who cannot afford it in cash).

I do write off the Paypal fees, as its a service I'm paying for towards my business.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:58am
post #12 of 15

Cash is king.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:05pm
post #13 of 15

Same as Kitagrl, I write off the Paypal fees - I find that it brings in so much business it pays for itself. I also work with ALOT of out-of-town (or out-of-country) brides who are coming home to Ottawa to get married, so having Paypal is very convenient for them to pay online...it even does the currency conversion for me automatically.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:26pm
post #14 of 15

Our credit union had a really good deal for taking CC's. I dont rent the machine,I bought it for 200 bucks (which I can deduct) and I pay very low percentages every month and have no mim. You may want to check with your credit union. It was even cheaper then Costco. (Paypal is expensive to me! I guess you pay for the convience)

I do not put any order in my books until a deposit is made and the CC's have REALLY helped with the headaches of collecting that deposit. A lot of brides are collecting points for their honeymoons so they love it. And like Deb said, they spend more with a CC. And I can take an order on the phone and boom we are done.

I have been lucky I guess, never had a check bounce on me.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:36pm
post #15 of 15

For low volume credit cards Paypal is the best, and it is probably one of the safest ways a client can pay you. I love it because I have a Paypal Business Debit Card and the second a customer pays me I have the funds available for use, no waiting 2 to 5 business days to collect my money for a credit card processor. Pretty cool, and I also write off the fees as a business expense on my taxes.

To my knowledge, It is a nationwide law that only non-profit orgs can upcharge on a credit card payment to accommodate a fee, no other entity can do so. So you take the tax cut instead...LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%