Agbay Question

Decorating By deetmar Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 3:37am by deetmar

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 20

I was wondering if the original is okay, or if I should try to come up with the money for the deluxe. I don't do cakes everyday, but I don't want to spend the money and then down the line wish I had. I have numerous big wedding cakes this year, so I need to get something. I usually just put one layer of filling per cake layer. Plus it is so expensive to get the deluxe and I really don't have the money right now.

So ...can a home baker get by with the original agbay or should I wait until I can afford the bigger one?

19 replies
pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 20

Good question! Can't wait to see the answers. The wilton little leveler just doesn't cut it! (Get it--"cut" it!!!!!!) icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 20

Well, if you usually put only one layer of filling in each layer, then why even consider the deluxe model? Unless you're planning to start torting.

I have the original and torte almost every cake. First, I level all the layers, then I readjust the blade and torte them all. It takes just a few seconds to make the adjustment. IMO, there's no need to spend the extra $$.

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 20

My hubby got me the Deluxe for Christmas. I love it but again I do a few cakes a week, not everyday. I think you could easily get by with the regular one. I struggled with this as well but went ahead and got the deluxe in case I wanted it in the future.

Having it now though is very nice too because it's soooo simple, but then again the normal one would be too, just another cut to level or one to torte. If you have worked with that Wilton stuff then you won't know what to do with yourself when you get an agbay!!icon_smile.gif

deetmar Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 20

Thanks for the help, I think I will go ahead and get the original one. I would probably tort more layers, but it was just so hard with the Wilton little one, and I won't use the big worthless one.

I am glad to know that you can adjust it and make more cuts if you choose.

Thanks

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 20

That is so funny you are asking this I have been struggling w/ the same question this week. I think I am going to go ahead w/ the regular model. I sent a private message to one of the ladies here and she helped me a lot. I also sent an email to the nice lady at Agbay they have been iced in and didn't have any phone service so I was waiting a few days then I am going to call and speak w/ her before I order it.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 20

I am wondering how long it takes to get it? I would really like to have it for my next cakes - they won't be for a couple of weeks does it take longer than that?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 20

You will get by nicely with the original single blade model. If you're a "power user" and/or torte all your cakes and make a lot, then consider the Deluxe.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 20

Get the original, you won't be sorry.

That deluxe looks cool but unless you are doing a high volume of cakes and torte each one at that i think you could put the extra $ towards something else you might want need and get by nicely with the single blade.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joknee Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 20

What's an Agbay?

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 20

I have the original and love it. You will NOT be sorry for getting it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:56pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:

Looks to me like you would still have to level as there is still a small dome. Mine come out just as well with the bake even strips. Some day I'll have an agbay! shhh.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:57pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by joknee

What's an Agbay?

'

http://www.agbayproducts.com/
My next big purchase! icon_twisted.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:01pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Looks to me like you would still have to level as there is still a small dome. Mine come out just as well with the bake even strips. Some day I'll have an agbay! shhh.gif

Yeah...I have never tried strips, and so far, don't feel like I need em'. I'm pretty good with a serrated knife, but would love to be able to torte like that Agbay states you can.

deetmar Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 20

I ordered the original yesterday. I had to leave a message because they are without phone service, but they got back to me right away. I am not sure how long it takes to get one, but I know I will have it before my first wedding cake in March.

Thanks for all the input.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm
post #17 of 20

Is the blade on the Agbay really sharp enough that you don't have to hold the cake down? Looks like you hold onto each side of the Agbay--and then do a slicing motion?

I've about had it with the Wilton--no place to hold when you're also trying to hold the cake to get the wire thru.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #18 of 20

I gave up on the little and big wilton.

I use a serated knife... but its never "perfect".

I would love an agbay but only make a cake every other month. cant justify it yet.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:39am
post #19 of 20

I got the deluxe from my DH for my birthday and I love it. I still hold the cake on top--haven't quite mastered the torting as they show it in the video. These blades are extremely sharp--I know since I cut myself on one not paying attention when I was putting the blade cover on.

deetmar Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:37am
post #20 of 20

My Agbay came on Tuesday! I can't wait to use it. The first thing I did was to make sure it could cut my 18" layers, and it does with room to spare. I am so thankful that I was able to get one, especially with wedding season coming up.

Thanks for all the help.

Marilyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%