Idea For Orthopedic Cake?

Decorating By flamingobaker Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 3:03pm by cdbarton72

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 4

I am just not clever enough! icon_redface.gif

I want to make a cake for the nurses that took cake of my dad after back surgery.
Even though it was back surgery, it is a orthopedic floor so it doesn't have to be a spine.
I saw a couple beautiful cakes with hand molded bones on this site, but I don't have that kinda time right now!
I'd prefer a simple sheet cake - but can to a 2 tier if need be.

Any ideas?

3 replies
cdbarton72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdbarton72 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 4

It may sound weird,but you could just use white icing to pipe a little skeleton on the cake (that's bones for ya).

You could maybe pipe a little nurse with a hat on and a few surgical instruments also,i.e. scalpel, syringe. You could make a bed with the skeleton sitting in it too with maybe an IV bag.

Piping a simple box with bones behind it would kind of look like an x-ray machine too. For instance, just have the neck down to hips behind the x-ray screen and a little head popping over the top and feet/legs sticking out from the bottom. The bones would be shown in the x-ray box.

I have a weird sense of humor, so you may not like the ideas. It's just what came to my mind first.

Some party stores have year-round holiday supplies. You could probably find a small skeleton to place on the cake.

icon_biggrin.gif

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 4

I love weird humor!

I'm doing the x-ray box thing - good idea icon_lol.gif
Thanks for the help,
K

cdbarton72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdbarton72 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 4

You are very welcome.

I was actually thinking about your cake last night and I thought the little x-ray machine would be the simplest thing to do.

I just made a cake yesterday and my back felt broken when I finished. Bending over icing those things does make you sore sometimes.

Well, I hope your cake turns out great. I'm sure the nurses will appreciate it.

Take care.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%