Consider This The Next Time...

Decorating By kellertur Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 12:43am by -K8memphis

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:38pm
post #31 of 141

LMAO!! OMG Debi! that is so funny - but what makes it soooo funny is that....i thought the same thing at first!!

I just thought it was a 'style' not a brand!! haha!!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #32 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissieCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakecakes

Okay, admit it...even if you didn't think of the same member as I did, a member's name came into your mind, didn't it?

Actually, 2 members came to mind!! icon_smile.gif

I agree that there have been a lot of harsh comments posted lately, mostly in the forums. People need to think a little before hitting submit! On the other hand, I want some honesty from people, not just the standard - oh beautiful work, great job - especially if it really isn't!

Yes. Most of the harsher statements I remember were in the forums and just barely had anything to do with cake decorating to begin with anyway. They were more about morality or beliefs. I have never seen a harsh statement made about someone's decorating ability.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #33 of 141

I think that there are people who are rude and insensitive and can't give criticism well.

I think that there are also many MANY people who are overly sensitive and can't take criticism without a temper tantrum, or who think that a criticism of their work is a criticism of them as a person.

This isn't just in cakes, of course. It happens with writing, with art, with just about anything someone puts effort into. I'm an artist and a writer, so that's where I've been asked to do the most critiquing. The attitude is so prevalent, in fact, that I refuse to critique anything from anyone that I don't know even if they directly ask me.

I think much of the conflict I've seen here, as with any other creative community, comes out of BOTH sides, because I've certainly seen threads on this board where people have gone, "Look at what I did! Is it good or bad??" and when people have come back and said, "Well, you're on the right road, and this is good, but here's where you could improve next time," the original poster has come back with a hysterical fit of "How dare you attack me this way!"

I have also definitely seen threads where there's been a nice discussion going on, and someone has come in and left me feeling absolutely flabbergasted by their spite and nastiness.

Sometimes, I think it can be hard to tell the difference between the spite and the honest critiques, even if you're in person.

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #34 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

K2 has all ready said this IS NOT about Kerry Vincent, I think she was speaking in general. There are some threads where people have been flat out rude, not using constructive criticism. She was ONLY using Kerry Vincent as an example & she probably thinks everyone is missing the point: this sight is for support, debate, assistance AND constructive criticism...and I agree.

I completely agree w/this. Very well said.

I agree w/the OP. I love this site but lately some of the replies come off a little too harshly.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm
post #35 of 141

For a long time, I thought a "coach" purse was just a big travel bag that was smaller than carry-on luggage (as in flying "coach" instead of "first class"). Had no idea people were spending THAT kind of money for a freakin' PURSE! icon_surprised.gif[/quote]

OH my gosh, I just died laughing reading that! I do have a Coach bag.....here's my story:

About 10 yrs. ago I kept seeing women with these nice leather purses with a a rod across the top and a handle and decided I wanted one. I had no idea they were Coach, or even ridiculously expensive. Finally found out where to get one and knew I never would because of the cost. So, my DH got me one for Christmas that year, and I still carry it every day. It came with a disclaimer though; he told me he really hopes I enjoy it because that is where I would spend eternity; when I die he will have me cremated and buried in it!! Merry Christmas, huh?!!

At the time it was $260, so for not buying another purse for ten years, it's cost $26 a year,and it's still going strong. I've had it repaired once, and they didn't charge me, so I guess it was a worthy investment!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm
post #36 of 141

Seriously, if someone upset you or was rude, then just tell them so. What's the point of starting a thread to make a generalization about certain rude people? icon_confused.gif

It's a forum. There are SO MANY people on it, and there are so many personalities. Some are stronger than others, and it's hard to gauge a tone from behind your computer screen. Sure, some posters go over-board, but why wouldn't you just tell them their comments are rude instead of starting a thread about it?

Just my thoughts....I'm going to go back to sketching a cake out.

angie

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #37 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissieCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakecakes

Okay, admit it...even if you didn't think of the same member as I did, a member's name came into your mind, didn't it?

Actually, 2 members came to mind!! icon_smile.gif

I agree that there have been a lot of harsh comments posted lately, mostly in the forums. People need to think a little before hitting submit!

* I think we need to remember that this is a website for novices to experts, we're all on diff. levels. What seems common sense to one person, maybe not be for the next. I started from the bottom and worked a little way up mostly by helpful ppl on this website. I want other ppl to have that same kind of thing.
*I know one CCer that is adored on this site. But her responses to my post have mostly been negative. She has (in the past) knit picked my post and taken my words out of context so she can give out her "straight talk". I know that she means no harm. She prolly really believes she doing me a favor by giving me her 'no sugar-coating' attitude. I actually stayed off CC for several months b/c she is constantly on. I've learned just to appreciate CC for all the good it is. I hope others can learn to do the same and disregard the ugly.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:11pm
post #38 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas2babies

Seriously, if someone upset you or was rude, then just tell them so. What's the point of starting a thread to make a generalization about certain rude people? icon_confused.gif

Hey, seriously, it's good advice. I upset someone with one of my posts (hard to imagine, I know! icon_rolleyes.gif ) but she PM'd me and explained why she was hurt by what I said. I saw her point and immediately felt bad ... I explained what I meant to convey, apologized all over myself, and we're good CC friends now.

just tell them.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:16pm
post #39 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas2babies

It's a forum. There are SO MANY people on it, and there are so many personalities. Some are stronger than others, and it's hard to gauge a tone from behind your computer screen. Sure, some posters go over-board, but why wouldn't you just tell them their comments are rude instead of starting a thread about it?

Just my thoughts....I'm going to go back to sketching a cake out.

angie

ditto.

actually, i am so over the threads where someone posts a cake asking what everyone thinks. it seems like *everyone* jumps in saying how great and wonderful it is and they should charge like a million bucks for it. of course i'm not suggesting anyone rip the cake apart but how is anyone gonna improve their skills if they don't hear the truth??

example: i made a cake a couple years back, everyone said it was so pretty, etc, etc, etc...except for one person who said that, yes, it was pretty *but* the background i used was ugly (or something to that effect). i admit that i was not happy with that comment but after i looked at it again, i realized it WAS ugly, lol! so i am happy someone pointed that out to me otherwise i would still be using ugly backgrounds for my cakes... icon_smile.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #40 of 141

in my opinion, which doesn't seem to hold too much weight in my house!, constructive criticism can be a great thing, but it has to go two ways. one must be able to take the criticism that is being offered in the spirit it was meant to be taken. with that being said, some people take the idea of "constructive criticism" and use it as an excuse to spew out hatred or derision, and then say "but it's the truth".

i think there is a happy medium. if i see a thread where someone has honestly asked for opinions, i'll soften any potential blows i might have with some things that i think they've done really well. there is a way to do things, and it doesnt' have to be done spitefully or hatefully. i also think the humor works great for deflecting those threads that turn ugly...that's my favorite trick!

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #41 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

.... i'll soften any potential blows i might have with some things that i think they've done really well.

And you know, that's basic "Mgmt 101". When you have an issue you need to address with an employee, you ALWAYS tell them waht they are doing right before you get into the area that needs to be improved. (Notice I didnt' say "....before you get into the area they did wrong.") Dealing with employees who mess up something on the job, a student who need add'l help with the classroom work, your 6 year old who didn't clean her room properly.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:30pm
post #42 of 141

If I am correct in my assumption with what this is in regards to, said troll implied that cake dummies are not real cake and shouldn't be viewed to the same standard as real cake thereby implying that decorators that use dummies for say competition or display are not worthy. this troll is a complete ass but comments in general can be sort of ugly at times around here. It seems at times we are too polite to be honest and other times we are all too honest and hurt OPs feelings without thinking.

As for coach purses... My siblings and parents got together and got me a coach purse last year for my birthday... my hubby says to me at least once a week, usually when i say "I just need to grab my purse" Put me in the game coach and thinks he is absolutely hysterical. I am not into name brands either for lack of funding but my younger siblings with no housing payments or children to care for always chip in and buy me nice things for my birthday. This year I got Ugg and Emu boots. My hubby calls the emus the ugliest "moon boots" he's ever seen but they're so comfortable that I wear them practically every day even as slippers when I'm in my PJ's! what's funny is that these few luxury items make it look like I'm into name brands and such when I pick my daughter up from school and I usually get side comments from the other mothers.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:44pm
post #43 of 141

And you know what....that's exactly why people shouldn't judge! No-one knows what goes on personally in other people's lives unless invited to know by that person. I'm so aware of these kind of things now that my husband has been laid off; I wear gel nails which are quite an expense for someone who has the income to support that luxury, but ludicrous for someone who does not. The catch: I'm a licensed nail tech and do my own; it cost me nothing but time. I know that, my family knows that, but anyone else who knows our situation and doesn't know I do nails, I'm CERTAIN are judging me for having my nails done. Things like this make me much more openminded to other people's situations, and the fact that we never know all the facts, that's why we should just worry about ourselves and let everyone else do the same. Great point you made!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:52pm
post #44 of 141

thank you Stephanie... FINALLY someone who "gets it". I didn't want to mention specifics (my form of tact) and I DID contact the poster. This isnt' the first time this has happened.. I see it often. (I'm not calling anyone a Troll, for the record)

I (like Varika ) am an exhibiting artist and can take "constructive", even harsh constructive criticism. Infact I thrive on it. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. No, I don't want to be sweet talked, tell me the truth but no need to be mean spiritied.
There is a difference~ someties it seems like the poster derives some pleasure in what is said.

It's easy to say someone is over-reacting when the comments made are distant and not about you. Just a thought. I am sensitive, I'll admit it, but I'm not weak because of it. icon_wink.gif

My reason for this post ~ as someone asked "why" I posting publicly... is to help bring light to this issue. I guess I expected people to understand, but maybe I didn't articulate my point well enough. It wasn't so "well meant decorators" would think their comments were ill received. Seriously, I for one, appreciate good critique ~ but it seems in short supply these days.

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:55pm
post #45 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

And you know what....that's exactly why people shouldn't judge! No-one knows what goes on personally in other people's lives unless invited to know by that person.

Oh I so know what you mean! I had a sister who fell on really hard times. She went to the trustee's office to try to get help on her rent. She screwed up by going to their office on the same day that she donned her ONE AND ONLY nice dress and went looking for a job. I went with her to the trustee's office at a later date to help her thru the process and the lady made some snide comment about "she was dressed too nice to be someone who needed help."

So I said to her, "oh so it's true! If you need help, then you ARE suppose to not take a bath for 3 days and dress in your worst looking clothes so that you LOOK THE PART of someone who needs help, because obviously that's how you measure people in here!" I then gave her an earful on why my sister had that dress on that day, "..... and I would think you would WANT to help people who are trying to help themselves!"

Gov't employees ..... Kiss my a$$, B*tch! icon_mad.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:09pm
post #46 of 141

Yes we should all play nice. But some don't play nice so we gotta incorporate that into our daily diet. Like in the Olympics where they toss out the high score and the low score--you gotta overlook some stuff. If you have to comment you could go pfffht or something and that could be code for eff you or something icon_biggrin.gif

But (like poker) I'll see you that Coach purse...

http://acmecakes.com/images/IMGP02502.jpg

And raise you an eighteen hunnerd dollah Louis...

http://acmecakes.com/images/2007-08-25_10-34-43_0003.JPG

We've got a snow day here in Elvistown and I'm dangerous with time on me hands.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:11pm
post #47 of 141

Wait wait, you gotta see the 'working edible chain'

http://acmecakes.com/images/2007-08-25_10-35-41_0009.JPG

icon_biggrin.gif

AllyCake90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyCake90 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:24pm
post #48 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Wait wait, you gotta see the 'working edible chain'

http://acmecakes.com/images/2007-08-25_10-35-41_0009.JPG

icon_biggrin.gif

hahaha!! I love this! The LV is amazing...if it weren't cake, I'd stuff it full and go out shopping on the town.
I wish it had snowed here...I don't have enough time on my hands... icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:28pm
post #49 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyCake90

I wish it had snowed here...

No, you don't. I'm not getting out of my driveway for 2 days. Here's a pic of the 12" or more of snow I have to shovel out. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6229871-.html#6229871

It's 12:30 and I don't expect my subdivision to be plowed out for another 3-4 hours at LEAST! icon_cry.gif

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:31pm
post #50 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyCake90

I wish it had snowed here...

No, you don't. I'm not getting out of my driveway for 2 days. Here's a pic of the 12" or more of snow I have to shovel out. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6229871-.html#6229871

It's 12:30 and I don't expect my subdivision to be plowed out for another 3-4 hours at LEAST! icon_cry.gif

Bwuwhahaha--move a little farther South. We got 3/4 to one inch and some icey bridges. So when the school's close so closes the church where I work.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Hey but don't even start on me because I used to live at the base of Lake Michigan--can you say Lake Effect Snow??!!! I've paid my dues.

AllyCake90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyCake90 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #51 of 141

It's 12:30 and I don't expect my subdivision to be plowed out for another 3-4 hours at LEAST! icon_cry.gif[/quote]

good gracious...that's a hefty bit of snow! I've got family in Indianapolis, so I suppose they're in your boat, lol. It snowed like that twice here, but that was over 10 years ago, and never again...I suppose the snow doesn't love some of us Virginians anymore, haha

Why, that's 3-4 hours that you could whip up some astonishing new cake flavor that wow's the masses!!

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:13pm
post #52 of 141

It snowed for 24 hours straight, breaking the snow accumulation record from back in '96 or '99.

all my bake stuff is at the shop. But I never bake on my "day off"! icon_biggrin.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:18pm
post #53 of 141

I'm having a snow day, too. It officially has trapped me in the house. Can't open the front door!!!!!!!!!! It's pretty, I'll say that much.

angie

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:21pm
post #54 of 141

I've said this before but it bears repeating to illustrate the extreme difference between Southern snow days and Northern snow days.

I mean it snows like every five years or something and we had 8 inches of snow once that stuck--did not melt by afternoon.

So the officials got on the radio and said they would not plow the streets because it would back up into everyone's driveway.

That's just so funny I still laugh about it.

I mean people around here drive faster so they can get home out of the elements.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #55 of 141

Want a picture of my beautiful sunny weather with a 79 degree temperature?.. Might warm your heart some! icon_smile.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #56 of 141

k8, I've always said that no matter how much it snows here, in three days it will be gone. Even now, the girls (my daughter and friend) are working on the driveway and where they've exposed the concrete (a good conductor of heat), it's already melting. 24 hours of snow, and now we have a bright sunshiny day ... I was shoveling in just a sweater and gloves.

There's a saying in Indiana: If you don't like the weather, wait 20 minutes and it'll change.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:34pm
post #57 of 141

Aw man Debi, you just had to mention a bright sunshiny day, didn't ya?

I can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me down
It's gonna be a bright bright bright bright sun shiny day

Oh yes I can make it now the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is that rainbow I've been praying for

Look all around there's nothing but blue skies
Look straight ahead there's nothing but blue skies

I can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Here is that rainbow I've been praying for
Bri-ri-ri-ri-right
Bright bright bright bright sun shiny day
Oh yeah
It's gonna be a bright bright bright bright sun shiny day.

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:41pm
post #58 of 141

chutz, my kids HATE it when I do that to them ... start singing a song when they say a key word or phrase. Which, of course, means I do it all the time!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:42pm
post #59 of 141

Hey Chutzpah - all this singing you've been doing....maybe you should audition for American Idol...if you lived in the states that is.

And Debi - did you get tired shoveling? Is that a butt print I see in the snow on the right side of the pic?

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:44pm
post #60 of 141

Hey, ya think if I sat down and let a big 'ole fart, it would melt the whole driveway? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%