Scottish Shortbread Cookies- Ingerdient 'ground Rice' ??

Decorating By lizamlin Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 2:00am by xstitcher

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 10

Is this a common ingredient I've never heard of? Where can I find it? Do you think if I put Panko in my blender and ground it that might work, too? Help icon_smile.gif TIA

9 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 10

Ohhh.....I've never heard of that before, but I know you can buy 'Rice Flour' at health food stores. Maybe that's what their talking about? Try a google search for Scottish shortbread ground rice and see what comes up. Google is my best friend!! icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 10

As I live and breathe Scottish foods, I have never heard of putting that into shortbread. I've used rice flour before but it's not necessary.

Use regular flour.
Do NOT use Panko. Panko are breadcrumbs ground fine.

Vicky MacDonald

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 10

Hey,
It's gotta mean rice flour. I've picked it up in the Spanish food section at Walmart. Makes a very nice shortbread cookie! It comes in a little box.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 10

It's Rice Flour (called my neighbor, from Scotland to check)

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 10

Do you guys have semolina? This can also be used instead (and is a very traditional ingredient in Scottish shortbread).

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 10

Hi, it isn't a common ingredient here in Scotland, I have seen it in shortbread recipies as well as semolina and cornflour, all of which can be used to replace some of the flour. You can buy it in the supermarket here but it is in the speciality food section. It's made by milling rice in a similar way that wheat is milled so I don't think your blender would do it. My gran taught me to make shortbread and it just has sugar, butter and flour in it in any 2:4:6 ratio, I've tried using cornflour and semolina before and it makes a very small difference but I find if you use good butter then the simple recipe does just fine.

Sara

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 10

I nearly always sub some of the flour for cornflour or semolina when making shortbread. I find it gives a better texture and melt in your mouth quality!

Come to think of it sometimes I use all three and cut the butter amount slightly too for using cookie cutters!

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:08pm
post #9 of 10

O M G You guys are awesome!!! Thank you!!! Say, for my fellow Scottish, what's YOUR fave Shrtbread recipe??

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:00am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizamlin

O M G You guys are awesome!!! Thank you!!! Say, for my fellow Scottish, what's YOUR fave Shrtbread recipe??

Mine personally is Walkers but I'd be interested to hear too... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%