Milk Chocolate Cake Covering...last Minute

Decorating By AlixsCakes Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 10:16pm by AlixsCakes

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:50am
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone

Can any one advise me as the best way to make a milk chocolate cake covering (for a 10" round birthday cake).

I really like getting a smooth finish on cakes, and usually use ready-bought chocolate fondant, but the taste isn't great and it isn't a 'milk chocolate' flavour. I've seen a recipe for chocolate paste using choclate, water and glucose. tried it last night but 'broke' it icon_redface.gif - I think it got too hot. If other people say it works, I'll give it another go, unless anyone can tell me a better option....?

I would love to use a poured ganache, but have no confidence in my ability to make it smooth...

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you again in advance.

3 replies
LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:18am
post #2 of 4

Are you trying to make chocolate clay? If so, then you just mix melted chocolate and glucose (no water). Water and chocolate are enemies. Even a small amount of water will make the chocolate seize.

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 9:37am
post #3 of 4

Chocolate ganache is really simple to make and pour.
As for getting it smooth - it does that all by itself icon_biggrin.gif
Simply let it cool a little so that it isnt too thin when you pour it over the cake otherwise you will probably need two coats.

Here is a link that was posted in one of the forums (sorry i cant recall who posted it!!)

http://daisylanecakes.blogspot.com/search/label/ganache

Its a great help!! Good luck - i know you wont go wrong icon_smile.gif

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both. Maybe I'll try the ganache again, the instructions look great.

I'm not sure if chocolate clay is the same as chocolate paste, but maybe I'll try it again without the water and see what happens.

fingers crossed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%