Fake Wedding Cake Questions

Decorating By Curr Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm by Curr

Curr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curr Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:07am
post #1 of 9

I am planning to make my own wedding cake for Oct. 30th 2009. Since I don't eat cake ( i just like making them) i'm not going to be serving the cake that I am displaying ( ill be serving a homemade tiramisu for the guests) but i still want to do a very creative "fake" display cake. it's going to be a four-tier cake using mostly fondant but some buttercream. I've never made a fake cake before- what do i use instead of cake? what does fondant stick best to? and most importantly i want to start working on the cake asap ( I know i cant start now) but how far before the wedding can i begin to work on the cake so that the fondant still looks good, and do i leave the buttercream work untill just a couple days before the wedding? Would leaving my unfinished work out be okay or should i put it in the fridge? freezer? any answers to these questions would be much appreciated - thank u so much for helping. ( by the way i know that many of you cake lovers might find it hard to believe i want a fake wedding cake but trust me - it's the best option for me, but i understand your pain icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:30am
post #2 of 9

You can buy cake dummies (made of foam). They have them at global sugar art, ebay, and a lot of other cake websites. Just brush the dummy with water and fondant will go on perfect. You can start as early as you want, just store out of the sun as it will change the color. I'm sure others can give you more info but if you do a search for cake dummies you will find a ton of threads where this topic has been discussed.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 9

Personally, I'd use royal icing instead of buttercream, that way you could work on it sooner, too.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 9

I have fondant covered display cakes in my case that are three years old. Srsly, you can start now.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I have fondant covered display cakes in my case that are three years old. Srsly, you can start now.

lol... Me too...plus a few older ones to...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 9

By the way..you can use RI instead of buttercream so it all can be done months ahead!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, unless it's just for practice, royal icing should be used on cake dummies, not buttercream! Just store in a cool dry place out of the sunlight (like on a shelf in a closet). The only problem I've ever run into is a cake dummy I had sitting out once managed to attract a zillion sugar ants. But we have a problem with those at my house every summer anyway (actually, everyone where I live does -- blech!).

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 9

I use nothing but BC on my dummies. Never had a bug one be attracted to them. I omit the dream whip and the vanilla, but otherwise it's my standard icing. When applied to styrofoam, it turns concrete hard. My customers love it when I say, "Sure!! Go ahead!! YOu can touch it!!"

Like leahs, I've got cakes that are 2 years old. The BC is holding up just fine ... it's the M&M's (on my M&M cake) that are looking pitiful! icon_redface.gif

Curr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curr Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all so much! Very helpful!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%