3D Pooh Stand Up Pan! Help!!!

Decorating By PeytonsMom0207 Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 10:14pm by sweetness_221

PeytonsMom0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeytonsMom0207 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:22am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone, I am new to the site and in need of advice! I am making the stand up pooh for my DD's 2nd birthday. I am thinking of stacking two rounds and covering them to look like a tree trunk with the pooh on top.

So here are my issues icon_smile.gif
1. The instructions recommend a pound cake or pudding added cake. I have never worked with either of those. Any good recipes or tips for the best cake to use with the 3d pan????
2. Any tips for working with the pan itself. I am super worried about it all oozing out of the mold in the oven.
3. How many pieces can I expect out of the cake and how the heck do I cut it???

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This birthday party is so important to my family. My DD and I are home with family while my husband is deployed and we just made the decision to stay in the military until retirement with the economy the way it is. So our families are devastated that we are no longer home for good and they are not going to get to see our DD grow up. I really want to knock their socks off with this cake and make it the focus of the party, maybe then there won't be so much focus on us leaving again!!

Thanks in advance for any help. I truly appreciate it.

Amy

8 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:34am
post #2 of 9

Hello.
I have used many different types of cakes with the stand up teddy bear pan. A pound cake is just a heavier cake than a box mix. Try a butter milk cake recipe. It will take about 7 cups to fill it. Use the clamps and you will be fine. It might flow over the top a bit, but just cut it off. Remember to fill the core about 3/4 with batter. When you take the core out, cut off the top inch of the core cake and stick it back in the bear. You can ice it first, if you want! It will easily feed 15 people. It is one box mix and a bit big, and you know how many servings you get from that.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
HTH

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:12am
post #3 of 9

I made the pooh cake...it's in my pictures. Basically you just have to make sure that you use a cookie sheet underneath it to catch any that might over flow. When I made it only a small amount actually went over. Just make sure your clips are on tight. I used a plain yellow box mix and it stood up very well. As for cutting poor pooh. We beheaded him first. It was rather gruesome. Then after his head was off we split him and then just cut pieces off. After I made it I didn't want to cut it, but I had to remember it's just cake. Once he was all cut up it wasn't so bad. HTH.

PeytonsMom0207 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:23am
post #4 of 9

Beheaded...:0 Yikes! That thought had occured to me... which is why I figured it should not be red velvet icon_smile.gif

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:33am
post #5 of 9

When my children were 2ish (and even now - 7 & 9) they would've died if they SAW me beheading the cake! My suggestion to you would be to present the cake, blow out the candle, sing the song, take the picture (don't forget to post it on CC for us to see), etc. When it comes time to cut, take the cake away & chop him up! Serve the "remains" to your guests!

My children like the cakes that I make for them, but they don't seem to eat any part of the face. I try not to serve them the facial features now. For instance, my Stitch cake . . . I served the B-day boy half of Stitch's face (one eyeball included) and he was worried that Stitch was "watching" him eat!

sweetness_221 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:43am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonsMom0207

Beheaded...:0 Yikes! That thought had occured to me... which is why I figured it should not be red velvet icon_smile.gif

My oldest DD wanted me to make it with red velvet. I had to draw the line at a one year olds birthday. Didn't want to scar the poor child. icon_lol.gif

PeytonsMom0207 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 9

Sweetness, I saw your pictures. Looks so cute. My pan is in the mail right now, roughly how big is the bottom of the Pooh. I was thinking about baking some rounds and covering them to look like a tree trunk with Pooh on top, but I am not sure how big they would need to be?

Thanksicon_smile.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 9

You can use plain chocolate or yellow box mix if you want. I use it for 3D all the time.

I'd say you need at least 8" rounds for the base, part of it depends on the look you want though.

sweetness_221 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonsMom0207

Sweetness, I saw your pictures. Looks so cute. My pan is in the mail right now, roughly how big is the bottom of the Pooh. I was thinking about baking some rounds and covering them to look like a tree trunk with Pooh on top, but I am not sure how big they would need to be?

Thanksicon_smile.gif

I used 10" rounds on the bottom of mine. You could definately go smaller if you wanted. My Pooh pan is packed away at the moment so I can't get you exact dimensions. So HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%