Newbie To Fondant Question.......

Decorating By sarah0418 Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 3:28pm by sarah0418

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, so I never really liked the idea of using fondant because I do not like the taste of the Wilton fondant and MMF is too much trouble IMHO to make...so, I recently saw a thread about Choco-pan and ordered the sample pack. And, I LOVE the taste! Now onto my question....
Next weekend, I am making a cross cake that is three layers deep (about 6inches). I was going to cover it in butter cream and make fondant daisies. But since I so like the taste of the Choco-pan, I am thinking about covering the cake in that. As I think about it, I'm not sure if draping a large piece over the whole cake would work, or if I could even be able to manouver(sp) a piece that large. Should I cut a large strip and cover the sides and then cover the top with another piece. I should mention that the top layer of the cake is the Wilton cross pan with the beveled top with two additional layers underneath. So, it basically is going to be the Wilton cross pan only about 6 inches deep.
I know this is a long post, but I don't really know much about working with fondant and I would appreciate any help! icon_lol.gif

4 replies
armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:06am
post #2 of 5

I think one big piece is the way to go. If you try to do the sides and top seperate you will have seams that will be hard to get rid of. Unless......maybe you could crimp the edges together. That might work and would also make for a creative decorative edge. I guess you would have to try it on a dummy cake to see if you like the look. Hmmmm, now the wheels in my head are turning. lol When I cover large cakes, I usually end up taking over the kitchen table. It's actually not as hard as you would think to get that big of a piece of fondant rolled out. Well, I hope you can find something that works for you. Let me know how it turns out.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:35am
post #3 of 5

I think you should use one big piece to cover the cross. If you roll it out, I find the easiest way to pick up a big piece is after you have it rolled out, roll it back onto the rolling pin and roll it off onto the cake. I'm not sure how to explain it very well, I hope that made sense. lol

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:16am
post #4 of 5

Hi, I would do the sides first and then the top. Measure around the cake and the hight. Then cut your fondant to that measurements. Then cover the sides. And then cover the top. Like armywifebryan mentioned, you can crimp the edges.

You might tear the fondant, if you use one large fondant piece.

That method is very good too, if you are going to cover number cakes as well.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 5

Ok,
thank you all for your suggestions. I, too, was worried about the fondant tearing because of the "odd" shape. I will post pics of the cake when I'm done and let you know what I decided to do...thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%