Tips For Writing On Side Of Cake?

Decorating By Larrimore Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 6:32pm by Larrimore

Larrimore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larrimore Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have any tips for keeping the writing on the side of a cake even? I really like that design and would like to do one for my anniversary coming up next month, however, I have a hard time keeping the writing in a straight line.

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 9

laser level. About $10 at your local hardware store.

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 9

I would use a computer to print your script in the size and font you like and have it printed backwards. If you are icing your cake with buttercream, make sure it's crusted before your proceed.

Next, using whatever writing tip you like, go over the backwards text right on the paper, then take it and lightly press it on your cake where you want the text. It should leave a faint print. Then, pipe over the faint print on the cake with your icing again.

Is that clear, I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right. Feel free to ask questions.

Gen

Larrimore Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you Leahs...hmmm, hubby has one of those. And Marysmom, yes, your directions are clear and I really like that idea...that way my "handwriting" could also be fancy

annez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annez Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 9

I use a variation on the technique that Marysmom uses. I print the words (facing normally) off my computer and poke holes through the letters with a punch pin. Then I press the paper into the cake. It leaves little indents that you can trace where the punch pin marks were. Just a different idea you could try...[/quote]

cakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjen Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:26am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif GENIUS!!!! i usually just write it and if it ends up not straight, i'll make some of the letters longer or i'll ice it smooth and do it over...

do you get paid to be so smart?! if not then you should really consider it....

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:06am
post #7 of 9

I absolutely HATE to write on cakes. I will try these techniques and see if I can pull it off. Thanks.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:19am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

GENIUS!!!!!

I shoulda had a V8!!! Get it!!! icon_lol.gif

Amy

Larrimore Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 9

I have tried the pin prick test for something and it did not work out so well...hmmm a punch pin...

CakesbyJen, I love the butterfly in your avitar

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%