Need Help With Color Scheme

Decorating By boothgirlz Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 7:19am by mabryant0212

boothgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boothgirlz Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 11

What color roses would look good on a two layer 12 inch round cake with yellow icing? She already mentioned pink and orange but what else?

Are there any sites to go to that would help with deciding on what colors go together?

Thanks

10 replies
seskenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seskenn Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 11

I think it depends on how strong the yellow is. If it's a pastel yellow, any other pastel (pink. lavender, orange) would work. If it's a bright yellow, keep with other bold colors. I think red and orange would be great, maybe even a few hot pinks and purples.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 11

First are these going to be fondant roses or buttercream? You could stripe the bag (if buttercream) so that you get pale orange roses with yellow tips (the opposite of the JFK rose). I think that would be gorgeous! If using fondant, you could make pale orange roses and dust the tips of the petals with gold lustre dust.

boothgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boothgirlz Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 11

everything will be done with buttercream icing. I think I am going to go with a more pale yellow as I am out of some of my americolors and have to use my wilton stuff. (it has been ordered just not going to get here in time) icon_cry.gif To me the wilton coloring has a taste to it if I have to make the colors too bold.
Thanks.

lalakanosho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalakanosho Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 11

you can do shade variations of the same color you iced the cake in. do some darker, some lighter, and some almost white with just a hint of color. If you want it to be girly you can use more pastels, but sometimes it can come out looking like an easter egg so be careful.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:30am
post #6 of 11

purple and teal look nice with yellow

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:08am
post #7 of 11

Ooh I like that idea prterrell. That would be very pretty.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:18am
post #8 of 11

I am a fan of hot pink with pale yellow. Actually pale yellow, pale blue, and hot pink is amazing. The light colors make the hot pink roses just pop.

You know hot pink and neon orange were really popular wedding colors a few years ago.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:43am
post #9 of 11

pale yellow... orange and pink... you can throw in some lime green
all popular colors around here...

lesley

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:04am
post #10 of 11

If you have time, check out this website. It explains colors, the color wheel and colors that go well with one another. It explains how colors on opposite sides of the color wheel are complementary and how colors that are side by side on the color wheel are "harmonious". This is something that I've picked up in regular art classes but is applicable to cakes and anything else creative and decorative. Hope it helps!

http://www.colormatters.com/colortheory.html

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:19am
post #11 of 11

I would use two colors in a bag light pink with a hot pink and make roses kinda like fire and ice roses... and for the leaves I would use almost a neon green... I think that would be very pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%