Help On A Cake Idea...

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 9:17pm by ps3884

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 4

I found out from a friend that there is going to be a "cake auction" in about a month to raise money for the local woman's shelter and (christian -based) pregnancy support organization. These are causes that I believe in, and it appears that they are asking for any/all cakes including hobby bakers, not just pros. This is good because there are 2 bakeries and 2 grocery stores here, so they wouldn't raise much oney otherwise, LOL! I guess it's also standard to have other donations that go along with your cake to the winner of your auction, and my friend who told me about this also sells jewelry and said if I do it, she'll donate some jewelry.

Of course, I have just been thinking about this since last night, but the first thing that came to mind was to make a cake in the shape of a watering can. Then have a few flowers spread around on the cake board, and have a sleeping baby nestled in one of the flowers. I would even like to make a foam wedge for the watering can to sit on, so it looks like it is tipped and ready to water ("nurture") the flowers/baby.

I think this cake is pretty advanced for me, but I have a month to figure it out... The big problem is that I have never made gumpaste flowers, which I think would look best, nor have I ever done any figure modeling.

I think there is a baby mold somewhere. Does anyone know a good site where I can order that? And any suggestions for relatively easy large gumpaste flowers for a beginner? If you know of tutorials, that would be even better!

TIA!

3 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 4

I think the big bag of flower cutters at Michael's (it's like $20) comes with instructions on how to make flowers. But I don't know for sure.. that's the next thing on my list to get. Hope this helps. And I don't know if Global Sugar has any baby molds, but I do know that they carry molds. Good luck! And hopefully someone else will have a better answer!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 4

Study the videos on this site by aimy2 (I'm sure that's not spelled right but you can't miss themicon_smile.gif.
That will help you w/ the baby.
That 'bag of cutters' mentioned is a great way to start into gp work. You can make many flowers w/the equipment in that kit. Also there are many, many videos on UTub.......many by decorators right here on this site.
I know you can do a great job on this icon_smile.gif

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 4

I just wanted to say that I love your design idea for the cake! Best of luck and I can't wait to see a finished picture.

-Penny

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%