Trip The Old Lady And Smear Cake In Her Face...

Decorating By Karema Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 1:16pm by Deb_

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:55am
post #1 of 25

Ok so this is kind of long but a little funny and annoying. You will understand the title in a moment. So... I sell baked goods at a local flea market and have been for quite some time. There is bakery up front and a lady who makes candy right next to me. We never have a problem with one another because we all respect each other. Well there is this lady that kept coming in talking to the owner about renting space. She would stop by my table each time saying that she use to bake and she liked my table. So I just said thank you and didnt pay her any attention. Well she came in to rent a table and was selling odds and ends. This saturday though she came in with a box full of cake that she opened and cut it up right there. No gloves and did I mention this place is filthy. According to Erie county you can't package food there. Then she pulled out some sweet potato pie and I didnt say anything. She began waving at me across the room and came over to me at the end of the day saying that she meant to say hi but she was so busy. Anyway I was very polite and just said hello and kept on working fast forward to sunday.
So on sunday my husband and I set up our table and I began walking around with my basket of baked goods like I normally do. My hubby had made a joke about the old woman and said that I could trip her in the parking lot and smear cake in her face. I was appalled and told him that was so mean and she is a poor old defenseless lady and he shouldnt make jokes like that. She came in around 2 pm and started setting up. I was walking around and my hubby was talking to a customer. This woman came all the way to my table and interupted my husband to ask our customer if they wanted to buy anything from her. My husband asked her to excuse herself and leave our table. She then grabbed a basket from under her table and began walking around. Well I saw her and that basket and began to become a little irritated.
I then went back to my dh and asked him if he saw what she was doing. He said yeah and told me what she had done to him. Well I marched my butt right over to her table to explain to her that I would greatly appreciate is she wouldnt bother our customers or myself or hubby. Well I didnt get far. She saw me coming towards her table and grabbed her basket. When I walked up and said "excuse me my husband told me" she looked at my basket and said "Oh you have a basket just like me, and it looks just like mine" She then scurried off really fast and left her table. I waited because I was mad then. She wouldnt come back. She left all her stuff and just left me standing there. I left and then she came back. My hubby went to talk to her and she told him that we were using her idea of walking around with a basket and she had been there for years. I walked over and told my husband let me handle this. I told that woman off and told her if she does not stay in front of her stand and sell we would have a problem. I told her I'm usually nice to the elderly but not when they try to step on me. I told her that she doesnt need to make enemies and step on people just to try to get ahead. So I go back to my table and I'm fuming. I was even more upset because I saw her baked goods and she was selling pie like mine but hers was black. Her cake was broght cake that she just cut up and she was trying to have the same set up like mine. So I look at my husband and say "She is so lucky I dont trip her and smear cake in her face." My husband almost died with laughter.
When I spoke to her she didnt say I word just looked at me with her mouth opened. I now dont know what to do. I know that she is not legal because her food has no labels and she cut up food there with no gloves so she has not idea of the rules. Also she doesnt have a name up or a licence up. I dont know what to do. I dont mind competition I just dont want people blantly taking my ideas and using them against me and telling me that I'm copying them when she is new to the market. I went to speak to the owner and he said that she requested a table next to mine because she told him that she knew me. She is lying. What do I do? What can I do? Besides trip her and smear cake in her face! icon_mad.gif

24 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:12am
post #2 of 25

First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! icon_lol.gif

Secondly, I'd just ignore her. If you can plainly see she's not following basic rules of cleanliness and selling store-bought cake...then every other customer can see those details too. She's no competition to you, just pretend she's not there. thumbsdown.gif You sound like your sales are much better and having been there a long time you already have clients who don't want what she seems to be offering.

I know others will say her actions in trying to copy you are "the highest form of flattery" icon_rolleyes.gif ...but you'd like to see the back of her, lol. I understand! icon_lol.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:38am
post #3 of 25

I'll bet she doesn't last a lick.

NuttyNanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NuttyNanny Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:40am
post #4 of 25

I agree with Antonia about ignoring her. If her other baked goods look like her pie then no one will want to buy anything from her and if they do then I'm sure it will be the last time. No gloves? Ugh...I shiver at that thought and I'm having visions and they aren't pretty ones either. People that come to the market are gonna figure her out real quick. Don't worry. You are very professional about it and following the rules and it sounds like she doesn't have a clue.

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:42am
post #5 of 25

Happy Birthday Karema! I have to say I got a good laugh from your story. I agree with Antonia, just try and ignore the woman the best you can even though she sounds pretty hard to ignore. Your customers surely see the quality of her goods and recognize the store bought stuff. I'm wondering why she's getting away with being there while not abiding by the laws/rules.

I also have to say you tell a good story. I could almost see it all unfolding in your telling. Thanks for the chuckles.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:25am
post #6 of 25

Hey CarolAnn - we seem to be hitting the same threads tonight. Altho, have to admit, it has been deliciously difficult for me to stay away from the BIG one (you know,,,,off.emb.) icon_biggrin.gif

karema - I attended a flea market-sorts not too long ago in another city. I stayed away from food handlers with no gloves. Food stuff that sold like hot cakes (pun intended icon_biggrin.gif ) were those with (1) packaged foods (2) gloved hands (3) presentation, presentation, presentation!

Any one who cuts up store bought cake & then tries to pass it off as their own will have a wake-up call real fast!

Chin up! We're rooting for you!! Image

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:49am
post #7 of 25

Ditto. Just here for more suport for you!

Hold your head high, people will notice that you have more class and dignity.

And customers will notice that she is using improper etiquette and they are the ones who will do the turning in icon_wink.gif

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:11am
post #8 of 25

The topic of your post totally reminded me of an old "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy" from SNL:
' whenever I see an old woman trip and fall on a wet sidewalk my first instinct is to laugh, but then I think what if I were an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny'

But I have to say I agree with the others on this one. If it were me at the flea market (and the one by me is dis-gust-ing to be in) there's NO WAY I would buy food from someone not handling it properly. Ewwwww.... Her bad behavior will come back to her in some form or another and you'll be reaping the benefits!! icon_biggrin.gif

Karema Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 25

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. And thanks for all the support. I will try ignoring her and see what happens. I can laugh at it now because to see that old lady just running was hilarious. I just kept thinking what is wrong with that lady. Oh well I will keep you guys updated about what happens on Saturday. We'll see!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 25

What you say she's doing is completely annoying, no doubt. However, it isn't illegal to copy you.
About the only I think you can do, is go to the owner and let him know she's ignoring Health Department regulations. If she's selling baked goods that are packaged on site, and he knows it; if someone gets sick they can sue both the seller and the owner who allowed it.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 25

I'm actually wondering if there isn't something wrong with her? When you say old, are we talking 80 or 60? I mean maybe she's senile and truly believes she knows you or that she isn't doing anything wrong. My grandfather had alzheimers and before we understood what was wrong with him he would do some pretty strange stuff like fight over grocery carts at the store that he believed to be his own even though he left his cart 2 aisles over and got lost looking for prune juice. He even got into a fight with my grandmother once, he insisted he was driving them home but he was no where near where he was supposed to be going. She kept telling him to turn around, or go down this road and he insisted he knew where he was going... She didn't drive so it was a tough decision but after that she had his license taken away and they moved to a retirement home but when he believed something whether it was true or false there was no shaking him. it was his way or no way.
Good luck next week...

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:24pm
post #12 of 25

I would be ticked, too! I probably would try to ingnore her for the most part, but if she dared come close to my booth and start poaching customers again... Now, that I wouldn't tolerate. I think I would casually mention to the owner of the flea market that he is leaving himself wide open for liability allowing an unlicensed, unsanitary person to be illegally selling food there.

Karema Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:29pm
post #13 of 25

Ok so this saturday was a hoot. The lady was there again and her pie was black I mean black. People were buying her cake and she was still walking around. I didnt say two words to her. When I walked around though I asked one of my regulars if they wanted some cookies and they thought that they had already brought from me. I said "No you didnt" She said that she brought from the lady walking around and the lady had said that she was at a back table in the next row. She asked her how long she was there and she said for a while now. So my customer thought that I had gotten someone to help and brought thinking that it was mine. Well I explained to her that it wasnt and so she opened tht cake to taste it and it was storebrought cake that she iced and cut up. They were mad. LOL. Oh well. I did speak to the owner and told him how was he going to handle the situation of her not being licenced and what would he do if the health inspector came in. He took it as a threat and told her to leave because she packed up her stuff and ran out. She didnt come sunday either. We will see what happens. I guess I better find somewhere else to sell because the flea market is only but so big and if I have to keep competing with bakers that just pop in I may have to find a better gig. I'm so sad.

MacsMom Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:20pm
post #14 of 25

Oh gosh! I'm glad you said something now that other patrons have been thinking that came from you! At least you won't see her again - unless she really does have dementia. Hopefully the owner will be more aware of unlicensed bakers trying to sell from this point on.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #15 of 25

Forget about ignoring anyone who is trying to imitate you...Drop a dime and call the health department if she comes back and the owner won't do anything. If she's taking your business it's too late to be nice about it, let her learn that hard way that she can't be that sneaky and get away with it.

It's good that the owner is handling her, but if she does return then you need to be direct with her and tell her that you want to see copies of her business license and health department inspection reports. None of this "ignore her and be nice" crap, she's trying to steal your business (and apparently did so already with one client!)

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByJen2

I would be ticked, too! I probably would try to ingnore her for the most part, but if she dared come close to my booth and start poaching customers again... Now, that I wouldn't tolerate. I think I would casually mention to the owner of the flea market that he is leaving himself wide open for liability allowing an unlicensed, unsanitary person to be illegally selling food there.

ROFLMAO Imageat the poaching customers comment.....that is just too funny. I'm picturing Karema hiding out behind her table ready to hit the old woman with a stun gun or something if she tries it again! Ohhhh mannn......

Anyway, I'm glad you won't have to deal with the old woman again Karema. icon_smile.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:05pm
post #17 of 25

Happy Belated Birthday Karema and many, many more!

Two words sweetheart...Health Department. She is jeopardizing public health and safety. I am not a whistle blower, but this biddy needs a lesson in public health & safety, cleanliness, and MANNERS. The first two ECDOH will handle. I don't know about the third, it may be too late.

I noticed you are in Erie County. I am originally from Buffalo. icon_biggrin.gif Shout outs to all my fellow Erie Countians! icon_wink.gif

Have a great day!
Karen

Karema Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:38am
post #18 of 25

My husband was at the flea market today and she did come in. I had a few of my customers go over to her and buy her store brought cake and her burnt pie. My sister asked one person if he wanted to buy something and he said sorry I can only buy from her. So this is really starting to bother me. I'm just so angry I cant compete with her cheap store brought cake. I mean a huge slice for a $1 or $2. I can't come close with my homemade decedant cakes. I have to come up with an action plan. HELP!

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:40am
post #19 of 25

I wonder why he could only buy from her. I'd send in someone that she wouldn't recognize to buy something because it sounds to me like she is telling them some sort of story. Such as you not being licensed or something. That and call the health department.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:42pm
post #20 of 25

Go right up to her and ask to see her documentation (inspection certificates, business license, etc) that says that she's legal to sell food. If she doesn't have them, pick up your cell phone in front of her and call the health department. If she does have everything in line, then you're out of luck. All that you can do is to wait until people have had their share of burnt pie and hope that they'll come back to you.

MacsMom Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:43pm
post #21 of 25

This may not work because she'll likely copy you again, and it may not fit your budget, but you might think about coupons.

When a customer buys something give them a coupon for a free cookie if they purchase 6 during their next visit, something along those lines. They will come back for their free cookie and hopefully realize how wonderful you are and keep returning icon_wink.gif

Karema Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:17am
post #22 of 25

I havent updated in a while but things have gotten crazy. I am still selling at the market and have expanded what I sell. I added sliced cake and I brought my cupcakes back. Sales have picked up like crazy and I have gotten alot of positive feedback. The lady is still there and today she came in late as usual. She sold a pie to this lady and the lady walked away eating her pie. I was watching to see the ladies reaction when she ate. It looked like she was enjoying it at first and then I see her looked down and she looked really angry. She walked back over to the lady and I see her walk away. So I had seen the customer before and began talking to her. She was so angry and said that the lady had hair in her food. She went to tell her and the woman just said good I'm glad it had hair in it and take your garbage back with you. She threw the pie back at the customer. I was in shock. I couldnt believe my ears or eyes. Well the customer began yelling at the woman and told everyone around the womans table that she had hair in her food. She then brought some cake from me and ate the cake near the womans stand and was telling her customers dont buy from her come over to my stand because at least I didnt have hair in my food and I was NYS licensed. It was crazy. I didnt say anything to the old woman and just kept doing what I had to do. I sold out of almost everything and was very pleased. I really do think that someone should call the state on this lady and report her because I'm affraid someone may get sick one day. The only reason I call because I would feel like a hypocryte because when I first started I wasnt licensed because I didnt know about being licenced but as soon as I found out I ran downtown the same day I found out and got a dba and called the health inspector to get it down the next week. I jus think that this lady is going too far and she is being so nasty to customers and fellow vendors. I'm just standing back watching because I think that if she has enough rope she'll hang her self.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:02am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

... and the woman just said good I'm glad it had hair in it and take your garbage back with you. She threw the pie back at the customer.

icon_surprised.gif omg! what the heck is wrong with her?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #24 of 25

Karema,
Since you've had some issues with this lady, do you think maybe she thought the complaining customer was a set up by you? That's the only reason I can think of that she would get mad at her customer over something like that. icon_confused.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:16pm
post #25 of 25

karema, I'm glad your sales have picked up. I wouldn't worry about this woman, like you said she's got the rope, and it won't be long before someone ties the noose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%