Piping Gel ?

Decorating By skaggs1 Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm by BJ

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 7

I use piping gel on wax paper to transfer the outline for some of my designs, but the last few cake's i'v done the piping gel won't transform onto the cake and I can't figure out why please help!!

6 replies
LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 7

Does the piping gel have to much time to crust over before you get it transferred? Or are you not allowing your buttercream to get a slight crust before you transfer?
Thats the only two problems I can see with the piping gel not working

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 7

First - Are you piping enough piping gel onto the wax paper - I'd use a tip2 or 3 - depending on the detail you need. When you put the wax paper on the cake - how are you transferring the template? I use a soft paint brush and lightly brush over the gel - when you see it look almost like water through the waxed paper - it means the transfer has happened and you've pressed hard enough. As stated on the response above - make sure you've let the buttercream crust fully before attempting the transfer. Hope this helps. The only reason I've seen where the transfer didn't take was because you weren't pressing hard enough on the wax paper
(any newbie reading this that hasn't done this before - never press hard enough to indent your cake - there is a fine line between the pressure used to transfer piping gel and denting your cake - if you use a very soft paint brush - denting shouldn't happen).

MRMonroe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MRMonroe Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 7

I am having the same problem with the piping gel. I outline a graphic and when I transfer it on the cake, I can't hardly see the lines. I notice you said not to let the piping gel crust. How can you tell whether or not you have let it crust too long?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 7

probably aren't rubbing your finger (gently but firmly) over the piping gel to get it to stick to the icing.
If you want see the gel once it is on the cake...you need to add the tiniest; teeniest amount of color - usually blue - so you can see it.

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all the help!! I'v been trying to figure out what I have been doing different for the piping gel not to work and when I read that you use a tip 2 or 3 the light bulb went off I starting using tip 1. So let me see if this is the problem!Thx

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 7

I've never heard of piping gel crusting and I've made some pretty big transfer designs which took me at least 20 minutes to pipe - hmmmmm icon_confused.gif Not sure on this one........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%