Make It Look Like My Cake Is Smoking?

Decorating By kathik Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 7:48pm by tx_cupcake

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 4

I want to have the effect that smoke is surrounding my cake. I thought I could do this with dry ice, but someone said the "smoke" would fall so only the bottom would look like there was smoke around it. Is this true? Anyone ever try this effect?

Thanks,
Kathi

3 replies
tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 4

What look are you trying to accomplish? Do you want smoke coming out of the cake or just around it?

I'm not sure how you could make smoke just "hang out" around the cake, but you could rig up some kind of tubing containing dry ice down through the center of the cake, and have the smoke coming out of the top.

Not sure what your other options would be.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 4

I am making a mountain and it is supposed to be "surrounded" by smoke. I thought if I put dry ice around the bottom and then in a cup at the top it would do this, but now I am concerned that it won't. Any thoughts?

Kathi

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 4

I don't have a lot of experience adding a lot of special effects doodads to cakes, but I HAVE made a dry ice volcano. icon_biggrin.gif

I would bore a hole down through the center of your cake. You would need to find a water tight / food safe container and tubing to run from the bottom of the cake up through the top. Then you could drop dry ice down the tube into the container, add water and that would push the smoke up through the tube and out the top of your cake. You could just decorate around the opening to hide it, but with all of the smoke coming out I don't think anyone would really notice.

Of course, dry ice doesn't smoke forever, so you'd have to do everything pretty close to "show time".

This link may help:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1805651/dry_ice_erupting_volcano_cake/

I know you aren't going for a volcano, but this is the best I can come up with!

Anyone else have an idea?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%