Wilton Fondant For Gumpaste? Ck Gumpaste Mix ...

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 1:13am by mbt4955

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 12:32am
post #1 of 3

1. Can I use Wilton fondant and tylose to make gumpaste? I know I won't use the fondant on a cake and I have been wanting to try making gumpaste with tylose. I didn't know if different brands of fondant worked better than others.

2. I bought CK gumpaste mix and I've tried it twice, but it just hasn't turned out right. The directions say 1 cup of mix with 1 T of hot water, but I have to add more water to incorporate the mix ... then more mix because I get too much water. I have used the Wilton gumpaste mix many times with great results, but the CK is a little cheaper. Advice, anyone???

Thanks,
Martha

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:05am
post #2 of 3

I have used both Wilton fondant w/Tylose and CK. I like CK better but until you try/use Nic Lodge's gp you will not know what real gp should be like!
all you need to do is make up Wilton's Royal Icing recipe then add the Tylose.......couldn't be simplericon_smile.gif

Can't remember adding Tylose to Wilton fondant but I have used GumTex many times.

W/the CK sounds like you are adding too much water....yes, the 1st Tablespoon does not seem like enough but if there is still dry powder just add one or two *drops* more water.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 3

Thanks, kakeladi. I'll have to try Nicholas Lodge's recipe. I am taking his class in Austin in early March and I am very excited! I guess I should try his gumpaste before the class ...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%