Help Or Suggestions For Petit Fours With Poured Fondant?

Decorating By Malakin Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 3:15pm by jobueno

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have any suggestions on how not to screw up petit fours? I am going to try to use Peggy Porchen's poured fondant. Do I really have to use marzipan on top? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 10

I've done petit fours several times, but have never been thrilled with the results. I will be doing them again for a bridal shower in March, so I'll be anxious to see what advice you get.

I didn't look at the fondant recipe that you will be using, but the main thing I learned was to be sure that it never got too hot. As long as I kept the temperature right, the fondant really covered well. I iced my cake with a thin layer of buttercream, then froze it whole. After it was frozen, I cut out the petit fours. I got my best results when I put the fondant into a squeeze bottle. It made it easier to cover the sides.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 10

Her recipe is for store bought fondant, adding sugar syrup and glucose I believe. I have seen plenty of wonderful pics on here but it's hard to find a how to. I want to hopefully only make some one time without screwing them up. It's so costly anymore to make learning mistakes.

mbt4955 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 10

Let me try to find the tutorial that I used. I think I have it saved at work, but I'll look for it ...

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 12:05am
post #5 of 10

Here is another thread on petit fours:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-615738.html

I always do top mine with marzipan- it gives the top a lovely smooth and tasty topping before you cover them with the fondant.

Bijoudelanuit Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 12:05am
post #6 of 10
mbt4955 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 12:05am
post #7 of 10

Here is one link. This is a vegan website, but the fondant recipe is the one I used and there are pretty good pictures. I'll keep looking for the other one too. I've never managed to get my petit fours completely covered, but people love them anyway.

http://veganyumyum.com/2008/01/petits-fours/

Bijoudelanuit Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 12:13am
post #8 of 10

Thanks so much for posting the vegan website!!! I'm always excited to find new websites/ recipes!

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:32am
post #9 of 10

I'm not an expert. I tried several recipes for the poured fondant, and I wasn't happy with the results. Finally, I bought some of the Wilton white chocolate disc . I melted these in the microwave with a small amount of heavy cream. I guess you would call it a ganache. It was wonderful!!

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 10

Hi there

From what i understand if you frost your cake for petite fours and freeze it then make a ganache, instead of fondant, and dip your cakes should turn out delicious and beautiful.
hth. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%