How To Charge

Business By suzie1962 Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 2:39pm by Tab143

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 4

Hi:

I'm just getting to the point where I am starting to sell some cakes. So far I have only done wedding cakes. I am going to be getting an order for a birthday cake and I am not sure how to charge for it. Is a cake a cake? Whether it is for a wedding or a birthday? Do you charge less because it won't be as elaborately decorated? Just wanting some guidelines.

Thanks.

3 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 4
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 4

A cake is a cake is a cake.. don't charge different for weddings vs. birthdays or you will have brides who question why. Unless you are doing something different on the inside (like torting wedding cakes and not torting birthday cakes or something like that) it's the same cake... same work... same price. Most birthday cakes are more work than wedding cakes anyway. People want over the top cakes for birthdays... oh and could that be a 3-d carved cake... oh and could it have sparkles and light up... oh and you think you could make it move???... and tend to want sleek and simple for wedding cakes.

I don't offer those blank, wilton course 1-esque cakes with the roses and the borders and the HAPPY BIRTHDAY <INSERT NAME HERE> written on them so I may approach birthday cakes differently than some might. I do however stand by the idea that the same amount of work goes into a cake... no matter what the occasion.

Tab143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tab143 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 4

I totally agree on the charging the same for wedding vs birthday cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%