Smashed Cake!

Decorating By mamafox Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 12:42pm by foxymomma521

mamafox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafox Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I made a cake for someones bunco party. They wanted two cakes that look like dice (easy enough, so I though). I thought with the left over cake I would make three dice since you play with three in bunco. I cut 5 inch squares and did four layers of cake. When I went to frost the frosting would not stick to the cut side of cake. Then the cake was too soft so the third cake just crumbled!!! I did this all after a long day of work and was up until 2am icon_cry.gif The third cake unfortunely did not survive. Since i was suprising her with it i ended up completely smashing with my hands!!! I have to say it felt amazing! What a stress reliever! What a mess though, hee hee! Any way what kind of cake do I need to make that will hold up to carving? I just used a box (bad idea). Do u suggest freezing it first! They all loved and now someone else wants one! I just need some advice on making it a bit easier. Thank you all so much for any advice. Lori

4 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 5

Oh no! Glad you got out your frustrations by smashing it all!

You may get very different answers here but this is what I would've done.

Cake - 2 layer cake mix, 4 eggs, 1 box pudding mix, 1 cup water, 1/3 cup oil. Mix and bake.

Carve cake. Thin crusting bc to the consistency of condensed cream soup and apply to cake smoothly but doesn't have to be perfect. I would chill until crusted then apply normal consistency BC. Then use the viva paper towel method to smooth.

Good luck with the second try.

HTH

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 5

You can also apply the BC with the large icing tip and bag method. Yes freezing the cakes first would also help.

Durjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Durjohnson Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 5

Hello,

How I have tried freezing for two days and it wasn't very sucessfull. Would you suggest longer.

Many thanks for your help!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 5

Generally any cake extender containing sour cream will make your cake dense enough to hold up to carving... I add 1 cup sour cream, 1 pkg pudding, 4 eggs, 1/2 c oil and 1/2 c water. Also, I've microwaved my BC to thin it, and then spread it on my cake... maybe try that if you don't have time to chill it first...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%