Candy Clay Instead Of Fondant For Cut Outs/details?

Decorating By MOBOGAL Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 1:17am by MOBOGAL

MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all icon_smile.gif

I am making a baby shower cake for a friend, and I love the looks of the cakes with the vertical fondant stripes and cut out baby feet. Can candy clay be used to achieve the same effects? I have no experience with fondant and don't want to be trying something new for a cake of this importance. If anyone can offer any advice or suggestions I'd really appreciate it! Thank you in advance for any help.

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 6

Absolutely you can use candy clay for that. Would taste great, too.

MOBOGAL Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 6

Oh great! Thank you so much. So to follow up...do you just roll the candy clay thin and use the cutter/embosser to cut out strips/etc? Any tips to share on the best way to go about this? I appreciate the reply!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 6

Yep. Should work a lot like fondant. You can even cover cakes with it. I've rolled it pretty thin and cut it out for the Patriots logo on the sheet cake in my photos. I haven't tried embossing it, but I've seen it done. It can get really soft if you are working it a lot, but if you just let it rest a bit, it cools off and becomes easier to work with.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:03am
post #5 of 6

Here's a cake I recently did, rolled out the candy clay very thin then cut it out:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1300923

MOBOGAL Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:17am
post #6 of 6

Awesome! Thank you both for the tips...it's so nice to ask for help and receive it! Serious_Cakes, that's exactly what I'm going for...it's nice to see that it is possible. I'm feeling much more prepared to tackle this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%