Iso: Longer Caramel Apple Sticks

Decorating By Melvira Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 4:24pm by Melvira

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:15am
post #1 of 10

Long story short: I'm looking for caramel apple sticks that are longer than 5.5"... can anyone help me out? They are 1/4" thickness.

Long story: I used to use longer pointed dowels for cookie bouquets but they always felt a little rickety on the larger cookies. I buy boxes of 1000 caramel apple sticks (5.5" long) at Sam's club for my caramel apples, and ended up having to use them for a cookie bouquet last weekend because my package of cookie sticks got dumped out on the floor. Well, I fell in love! They are so much sturdier, I am just thrilled with how well they work. BUT, the inevitable downfall, I need some longer ones! I was hoping for around 7 or 8" long. Can anyone tell me if they know where to find something like that? I am hoping for the same thickness and preferrably wood with a sharpened end! (Great for sticking them into the foam!!)

9 replies
newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:28am
post #2 of 10

I was looking for longer caramel apple sticks several months ago and could only find 5.5" length. I ended up taking some wooden skewers that I bought at the kitchen store - a pack of like 50 or something - and just took my needlenose pliers (they have a cutter on them) and cut them down to the length I wanted. Worked great.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 10

Have you checked wherever you normally buy your cake supplies? I ask because my local cake and candy supplier sells the caramel apple sticks in a short and long length.

Melvira Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:31am
post #4 of 10

Yah, I've done that, but they are so much skinnier, and these are so thick and sturdy. I just love them. I wish I could find some! icon_cry.gif

Melvira Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:36am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Have you checked wherever you normally buy your cake supplies? I ask because my local cake and candy supplier sells the caramel apple sticks in a short and long length.

Ooh, do they ship?? I get most of my stuff online because there are no cake stores in this freakin' state, I swear.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:09am
post #6 of 10

Yes, they do ship, but they don't sell them in bulk. I'm pretty sure they'd accommodate you though. Let me know if you want their info. I have found that I like using popsicle sticks, because they are flat and I don't get the spinners. Here's a link to some flat 8" and 10" sticks that are 1/4" thickness. You can also try to google corndog sticks. Gee, I have even used chopsticks.

http://www.msconcession.com/mid_states_concession_supply_029.htm

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 10

these have 7" paper sticks and sell in bulk, i have ordered from them before, prices are good,
http://www.setterstix.com/novelty_items.php

Melvira Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you sweetcakes, I appreciate it! Adonis, I did consider the flat 'ice cream bar' type sticks, but was afraid they wouldn't work as well, what is your honest opinion of them? When I couldn't find the round ones I considered those... also, if you want to PM me the info for that store, I would consider contacting them to see what they say! icon_smile.gif

adonisthegreek1 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 10

Hi Melvira, I hadn't been on for a few days. I will PM you the store info right now. Also, I do like the flat sticks. You can get a variety of lengths and I don't have a problem with spinners.

Melvira Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks a million!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%