Wilton Castle Cake And The Turrets

Decorating By lolobell Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 2:25am by HowCoolGomo1

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 11

I made the castle cake with the wilton cake kit once. swore I wouldn't do it again and here I am, doing it again.
One of the things that drove me the most crazy was the peaks on the turrets that you cover with RI and then icing sugar........the purple I used was getting all over my cake. When the table would get bumped, purple dust would fall, when we carried it outside to the neighbors......the wind blew purple would fall.
is there any way to avoid that and if not any other suggestion with what to do with the peaks that doesn't require sanding sugar???
Thanks

10 replies
gwright0906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwright0906 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 11

I just made my 3rd castle cake using the Wilton kit last night. Trust me...I felt the same way you did the first time I made one. This time I covered the peaks with fondant and I will do it that way from now on...MUCH less mess and it looks cleaner to me. I just posted a picture... that I finished at 4:00 A.M...if you'd like to look at it. icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this helps!

gwright0906 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 11

Oops! icon_redface.gif You may have to wait a few minutes to view my castle cake...I just posted it and it's not in my folder yet. It's the one with pink peaks and a little fondant/gumpaste princess in the front.

Thanks!

lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 11

thanks gwright. can you tell me how you did that though? did you have to put some icing on the peaks first or did you use just water to stick the fondant on?

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 11

I've made the castle cake a few times also....I roll my turret peaks in candy melts that have been thinned slightly with vegetable oil or Crisco....then while they're still tacky I sprinkle the HECK out of them with edible glitter! It sticks like you wouldn't believe and I dip the peaks in candy melts around the bottom before I attach them to the towers and it dries quickly and very firm....so no accidents or wobbling!

Good luck!
LL

lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 11

thank you gambo!!! looks great!

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 11

I made one for my little girl's 2nd b.day. I used fondant. I cut them out them then painted it w/ alittle water while it was still flat on my counter. Pressed the colored sugars then put the on the turrents. I dampened the turrents first, then just press on. I tried several different ways. My hubby did one this way and his looked the best! He was very proud of himself! lol Mine is in my pics also . GL!

gwright0906 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:01am
post #8 of 11

Sure...I used the templates that came in the kit. Cut them out, lay them on the fondant and cut around them again. I immediately covered the peaks with the fondant. I used a wet brush to seal it where the seam meets and that's it...SUPER EASY!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 11

I did a 50:50 gum paste/fondant mix.

I didn't use the templates. I just rolled the peaks until the edges met and smoothed.

After letting them dry for a little while, I used a water bottle sprayer on the mist setting, wet them and rolled in granulated sugar.

MaryAnn

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 11

I too did the Wilton castle thing. I used gumpaste for the turrets and towers. I could have used lustre dust but i got the results I wanted just by leaving them alone after they dried.
LL

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:25am
post #11 of 11

I forgot to say I also sprayed the sugar paste mixture very lightly, so it would stick. I didn't spray the plastic.

I'm just now taking all the baloney apart. If I had been gentle I could have saved most of the peaks, which means in my book, less work.

Hopefully, I will have more helpful hints in the future. I'm supposed to a dummy cake for a cake supply store.

This could take awhile; I want perfection.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%