3 Month Old Sam's Cake - Yeah, I'm Sure That's Still Good!

Decorating By jammjenks Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm by SweetOccasionCakes

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:15am
post #1 of 16

Funny story from my trip to Wal Mart today. I was in the checkout line and once the cashier saw the cake ingredients I was buying the conversation went like this:

HER: You doin' a lot of cakes this weekend?
ME: A few, but this is kind of a light weekend compared to normal.
HER: Yeah, I know. I've rung you up before so I know how much you usually buy. Remember me asking you about making my son's wedding cake last Fall?
ME: I do.
HER: Well my DIL decided to get her cake at Sam's. She got a three-tier cake for $60! That was cheap.
ME: Yep, very cheap. I hope it was good.
HER: It was. You know the top part you freeze? Well, it is still sitting in the box they gave us to put it in...on my kitchen counter.
ME: Tell me again when they got married.
HER: October. I told her she should put it in the freezer, but she said, "Nah...it still looks good as new. It'll be fine."
ME: Wow...that's somethin'........

And my chin almost hit my buggy handle as I pushed it out the door.

Good Lord...what are people thinking?

So-for all you who wonder if you can bake a cake on Tuesday for a Saturday event...there's your answer. You can bake it in March for a June wedding and just leave it on the counter in a box. icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

15 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:33am
post #2 of 16

OMG!!! icon_surprised.gifdunce.gificon_eek.gif

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:40am
post #3 of 16

WHERE is the "throw up" emoticon??!!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:48am
post #4 of 16

oh yeah...they look good forever! I'd made several display cakes for them using cake and icing...on display for a year and people would regularly ask if they could buy them. Every now and again, a snippy person would come in...not snippy to begin with mind you. "Do you have any cakes that look more feminine other than what's in the case?" depending on the time of the week, there may not have been any backups and the answer would be, "No, would you like to place an order for one and we could have it ready for you to pick up tomorrow?" that's when the snippiness came out..."uh, well, what about those? can't I buy one of those?" "Sure, you can! I'd advise you not to eat it though. They've been up there since...." One even turned around to her accomplice and popped off, "Yeah, they got cakes up there but they ain't got one like it to sell!"

Knowing Sam's policies, maybe that girl can take it back and get a new one. Just tell them it didn't taste fresh...lol, seriously.

shazp4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shazp4 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:53am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhays

WHERE is the "throw up" emoticon??!!!

How about this one: Image

icon_lol.gif

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:00am
post #6 of 16

slightly off topic but still funny......when my DH and I were house hunting 6 years back (yep, still sticks in my mind), we went into a house and the owner was still there. She was happy to just sit on her sofa piled high with bird seed bags listening to channel 3 music. We proceed into the kitchen where there was a cake sitting on the table. It looked soooooooo old. frosting had yellowed, it was kinda sagging in spots...it looked ancient. I poked my head around the corner and said, "wow, that' some cake." She proceeded to tell me that it was made for her third wedding 18 months ago and they loved it so much they couldn't bare to cut it. WHAT?! I asked her what they served the guests and she said they had the sheet cakes still in the back so they used small slices of those. 18 months and it was still sitting there. thumbs_up.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:04am
post #7 of 16

shazp4....ewwwwwww....that's just all wrong!! LOL!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:11am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

oh yeah...they look good forever!

I have 2 cupcakes that are so old, they are rock solid! So I use them for display in my window. They still look brand new, though! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:29am
post #9 of 16

Haha! It is going to be SO gross. I took a class with Bronwen where we made that Raggedy Ann Cake in my galleries. She had the cakes brought in from some major cake manufacturing company, which I think must be similar to Sam's. I left the cake assembled for about 2 weeks or so until I took it apart. Black and moldy inside, so gross. Well, Cake Carousel (local supply shop where I took the class) had theirs up for about 3 months, and every time I went in there, her dress was sweating more and more, until she got this huge moldy spot on her apron and they finally threw her away. So, you know the inside of that Sam's cake is super nasty. What was that woman thinking, she will get sick eating that.

shazp4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shazp4 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:32am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

shazp4....ewwwwwww....that's just all wrong!! LOL!!!

Well they asked for one! Image

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:40am
post #11 of 16

Gleggh.

Now that's just not right.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:10am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

So-for all you who wonder if you can bake a cake on Tuesday for a Saturday event...there's your answer. You can bake it in March for a June wedding and just leave it on the counter in a box. icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

OMG, I am laughing so hard right now! I just posted this question back in December! That is so nasty!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:27am
post #13 of 16

Brings to mind the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine eats her boss's hundred and something year old cake.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:46am
post #14 of 16

How gross! I don't think I could eat a cake that I knew was a week old! EWWW! I can't imagine letting a real cake sit around... I've always hoped the cakes on display were dummies....

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:54am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

oh yeah...they look good forever!

I have 2 cupcakes that are so old, they are rock solid! So I use them for display in my window. They still look brand new, though! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Funny icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #16 of 16

OMGOODNESS!!! I can't believe it's not moldy by now! And $60!?!?! From Sam's? I just can't imagine that even they would sell one for that cheap!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%