To Freeze Or Not To Freeze

Decorating By ShariB-DivineDesserts Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm by Bethkay

ShariB-DivineDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShariB-DivineDesserts Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:47am
post #1 of 11

My partner and I have just started a cake business and it has taken off like wildfire. We are swamped and I work full time as a nurse also. I was wondering if I could bake and freeze for up to 7 days, then thaw, crumb coat and decorate. I have did this before when baking for myself - but wanted some 'professional' opinions. Thanks in advance.

10 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:51am
post #2 of 11

Although I am not a professional, I always freeze my cakes. It keeps them moist. Wrap in plastic wrap and tin foil then thaw in fridge.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #3 of 11

yes ,you can, i do it all the time... some of your most famous cake decorators tell you that they do it... and other c/c ers tell you they do it also... in my cake meetings... we have people that own bakeries.. they do it all the time... they could never handle their business.. if they didn,t.. hth

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 11

Sure, freeze. Proper freezing will not hurt baked goods.

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:01am
post #5 of 11

In all the bakeries I've worked in we have frozen cake. As long as it's wrapped properly it can stay frozen for up to 6 months. icon_smile.gif

ShariB-DivineDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShariB-DivineDesserts Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:22am
post #6 of 11

Thanks for all the responses...I have never had any touble with freezing my 'own' cakes in the past. I get a little nervous when baking for others and wanted to make sure I turn out an exceptional product.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:34am
post #7 of 11

I freeze all my cakes too, and have had much success with that. I cool the cake, double wrap in saran and foil. Thaw in the fridge and bring to close to room temp still wrapped on the day I want to decorate. I love being able to bake in advance.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

I freeze all my cakes too, and have had much success with that. I cool the cake, double wrap in saran and foil. Thaw in the fridge and bring to close to room temp still wrapped on the day I want to decorate. I love being able to bake in advance.

Tracy is it ok to take straight from the freezer and put it out on the counter instead of putting it in the refrigerator first? This is how i usally do it and they turn out ok just wondered what the frig thawing does?
Thanks

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 11

I frequently bake ahead and freeze my cakes, particularly when I have a lot of orders all coming due at once. I torte them, place each layer on a cardboard round or square, stack them and freeze them wrapped well in plastic wrap. This is how we worked in quantity in pastry school.

I take my cakes out the night before and leave them on the counter wrapped. They are thawed and ready to use in the morning. I also make ahead and freeze my buttercream. It also gets taken out the night before for thawing. Then, when it is time to assemble my cakes, that is all I have to do--assemble! icon_smile.gif

Bethkay Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 11

I frequently bake ahead and freeze my cakes, particularly when I have a lot of orders all coming due at once. I torte them, place each layer on a cardboard round or square, stack them and freeze them wrapped well in plastic wrap. This is how we worked in quantity in pastry school.

I take my cakes out the night before and leave them on the counter wrapped. They are thawed and ready to use in the morning. I also make ahead and freeze my buttercream. It also gets taken out the night before for thawing. Then, when it is time to assemble my cakes, that is all I have to do--assemble! icon_smile.gif

Bethkay Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%