Gumpaste Question???

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 5:02pm by babycakes73

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:58am
post #1 of 5

I was wondering has anyone used the Wiltons gumpaste mix before?
If so how do you make smaller batches. The recipe on the container is way more than I need.
Do you then just add enough water to whatever amount of the powder mix you need, till it is somewhat thick in consistancy, then add powdererd sugar till it it fondant like in consistancy?
I am a little confused on this.
Thanks again for any info on this matter.
S.K

4 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:05am
post #2 of 5

When I first started used Wilton gumpaste and did not like it. You can make smaller batches as you suggested or you can make the whole thing and freeze the rest in small pieces. Just be sure to wrap it very well and let it warm over night before using it.

The gumpaste that I use now is just fondant (any kind will work) and tylose. It's about 1 cup of fondant and about 1 Tbsp. of tylose. Knead the tylose in in small amounts until it becomes somewhat firm. Rub shortening over the ball, wrap it twice in plastic wrap and then place it in an airtight container. Be sure to let it rest for at least 8 hours before using it. This gives the tylose enough time to fully absorb the moisture in the fondant. If you use it too early then it will tear easily and the flowers will look very grainy. When they dry they will also be more fragile than normal.

Nick Lodge has a good recipe on his site. It makes a lot. When I use it for dry climates, I usually only make half a batch. Even then, I still freeze about 1/2 of it.

HTH

Michele

babycakes73 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 5

Oh thanks so much for the info. I did not realize one could freeze gumpaste. Where does one get tylose???

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 5

If you have a cake decorating supply store near you then they should have some. You can also order it on-line from various places. I know Nick Lodge sells it. A lady on CC sells cakes supplies her screen name is Alicegop (I think). I'll get back to you on that. She does a good job with service.

By the way, it's very nice to see great grammar. Please, no one take this the wrong way. I hear and read so much poor grammar that I wanted to compliment someone who does use the language well. It is not an afront to anyone else.

Michele

babycakes73 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the compliment.
I do think I will have to order the tylose in though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%