How Long Can You Make A Fondant Cake Ahead (Mmf)

Decorating By yaadie Updated 18 Dec 2012 , 4:59pm by CaliRed

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 15

ok, A friends sister is getting married on July 11. she asked me to do the cake for her and I really want to do it. It will be a simple MMF cake with RI flowers. 2 tier. the problem is I am going to be out of the country from the 10th to the 15th, my high school reunion is on July 11 also. I really want to do this cake for her but I am concerned about the fondant drying out before the weekend. How far ahead do you guys make MMF covered wedding cakes and how do you store it I thought about putting it in a box and covering it airtight in a large clear plastic bag...and making it on the 8th - 9th, will it be okay exposed to the sir, or will I have to package it airtight. or regretfully decline....icon_sad.gif
I want to give her an answer ASAP so if I cannot do it, she an make other arrangements. (it is a small wedding, 50 people)

14 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 15

I have made cakes completely decorated in fondant and placed in the freezer loosely wrapped with palstic wrap, frozen for a week.

To thaw, remove the plastic and put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Then bring it to room temp, giving at 3 hours to let the condensation dry (do not touch it!).

If for some reason (humidity, rainy weather...) after 3 hrs there is still condensation, use a hair dryer to dry it instantly.

I've been out of town and had my FIL come over to move the cake from freezer to fridge for me icon_wink.gif

The frozen cakes always get compliments! Moisture must get trapped as it's thawing, preventing a dried out cake.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:47am
post #3 of 15

MacsMom, what fondant do you use?? That might have a bearing on whether your technique would work for others. I am thinking you are NOT using MMF, am I right?? Your fondant always looks too perfect to be MMF!!

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:33am
post #4 of 15

as long as you don't have parishable ingredients in your cake a filling your cake will sit fine for two days. if the wedding is on the 11 and you will leave the 10 then have the cake done on the 9th, box it up and deliver where it need to go ( or to who will deliver it to the wedding). As long as you dowl it properly and box it up it should hold up fine.

yaadie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 15

thanks for the advice. everyone.
ceshell - yes, I use MMF, I only use MMF...

so. if I don't want to freeze it can I make it a few days ahead and store in the ridge...I will be delivering it to the brides sister who lives close to me as well as works with me, and she willl drive it the 2 hours to the wedding.
and if I make it on the 9th, should I wrap the box airtight??

MacsMom Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

MacsMom, what fondant do you use?? That might have a bearing on whether your technique would work for others. I am thinking you are NOT using MMF, am I right?? Your fondant always looks too perfect to be MMF!!

LOL! Thank you for the compliment icon_smile.gif I do use MMF as I can't afford to buy pre-made fondant and I really don't like the taste. Except for Fondarific's buttercream flavor which is the only one I buy in black if I have to cover a tier in black. It's amazing for covering a cake, but too soft for accents.

This is the recipe I use
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7351-1-Marshmallow-Fondant---MacsMoms-BC-flavored-variation.html

icon_wink.gif

I always put my cakes in the fridge. I have put MMF, SI, and Fondarific in the refirgerator - there isn't a difference in how they react. I freeze leftover fondant, too. Coat the balls in shortening, wrap in several layers of plastic wrap and then inside a plastic bag.

MacsMom Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaadie

and if I make it on the 9th, should I wrap the box airtight??

The fondant is already a pretty air-tight seal for the cake. Through accidental findings, a cake left out on the counter for 2 days becomes drier and stale tasting. But kept in the fridge, it remains moist.

In fact, the absolute best bet for a moist cake is to freeze your cakes soon after they are baked. I let my cool for about 30 mins (longer if it a large pan), then wrap ina few layers of plastic wrap and freeze. This locks in the steam and freshness. Thaw in the fridge before decorating.

yaadie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 15

but how will storing i te fridge affect the fondant, I am not so worried about the cake itself, I am concerned about the fondant...I know left out in the air, it dries out a bit...

I do bake ahead alot of times as I work full time hours 3 days a week, and I do exactly what you said macsmom I wrap it in wax paper first though then wrap in seran wrap.

MacsMom Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 15

It is fine. Every single one of my cakes has been in the fridge. You just have to take them out at least 3 hrs before their destination so the condensation will dry. If it hasn't dried after 3 hrs, you can use a hair dryer to instantly dry it.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:41am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I do use MMF as I can't afford to buy pre-made fondant and I really don't like the taste.<...>

I always put my cakes in the fridge. I have put MMF, SI, and Fondarific in the refirgerator - there isn't a difference in how they react.

No way! I refuse to believe it! You are trying to trick us!! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

Thanks for that info. I never noticed your recipe in there! I wonder if adding the glycerine is what stabilizes it a bit? I refrigerated a pale-colored MMF cake and it stayed shiny forever, and I also refrigerated some MMF decorations with black + blue accents and those TOTALLY ran/bled in the fridge. I have been using Rhonda's recipe, which adds corn syrup, but not glycerin.

The last fondant cake I put in the fridge had a combination of S atin Ice and Pettinice/chocolate, and it fared PERFECTLY. That was a reilief. If your recipe works just as well then I want to give it a try!

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

LOL! Thank you for the compliment icon_smile.gif I do use MMF as I can't afford to buy pre-made fondant and I really don't like the taste. Except for Fondarific's buttercream flavor which is the only one I buy in black if I have to cover a tier in black. It's amazing for covering a cake, but too soft for accents.

This is the recipe I use
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7351-1-Marshmallow-Fondant---MacsMoms-BC-flavored-variation.html

icon_wink.gif

Hi Macs Mom!

Just saw your recipe and was wondering why should I not use Jet Puffed? I've noticed that lately my mmf is not the same but just curious to see your feedback on the subject.
thanks!

I always put my cakes in the fridge. I have put MMF, SI, and Fondarific in the refirgerator - there isn't a difference in how they react. I freeze leftover fondant, too. Coat the balls in shortening, wrap in several layers of plastic wrap and then inside a plastic bag.

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm
post #12 of 15

[quote="MacsMom]I freeze leftover fondant, too. Coat the balls in shortening, wrap in several layers of plastic wrap and then inside a plastic bag.[/quote]

How long does the fondant/mmf keep for? Does mmf & fondant keep the same way? Also, are we talkin' deep freeze or refridgerator freezer here? TIA

MacsMom Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:38am
post #13 of 15

It pretty much lasts indefinitely (by that I mean I wouldn't use it after a year, lol). I keep it in my refigerator freezer. I've even thawed it in the micro from it's frozen state and it was fine.

I don't like Jet Puffed because they are rubbery. When you stir them they seem to want to form a ball and bounce away icon_rolleyes.gif They probably work just as well, but Wal Mart brand is easier for me to work with.

The glycerine is added for pliability - you can cover anything! Only twice has fondant remained shiny on me: the first time was because I covered a cake that was still semi-frozen, and the second time it was raining outside, so there was a lot of moisture in the air. But the blow-dryer trick worked like a charm - instant dry.

cakesbytina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytina Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 1:42am
post #14 of 15

LOVE the hair dryer trick for condensation on fondant. THANKS!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

CaliRed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaliRed Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 4:58pm
post #15 of 15

MacsMom- trying to open the link on your own fondant recipe but i cant...can you repost it. need to make a small beatles cake for my daughter. icon_biggrin.gif pretty please? lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%