Cake Decorating Magazines?

Decorating By muddpuppy Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 3:04pm by Eisskween

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all! Can anyone recommend some great cake decor magazines? I'd really like to get my hands on some to read on the way to work.. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 11

I subscribe to American Cake Decorating and Mailbox News.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:49am
post #3 of 11

What kind of decorating do you do? What are you interested in most?
There are very few available.
Both ACD & MBN are more for the hobby decorator. They give some very short, general information on how something was created.
ACD has more instructions whereas MBN is mostly pix sent in by folks like us here on this board.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 11

There are a couple of great English ones available - " Cake Craft & Decoration " & " Wedding Cakes, A design source ".
Then, there's " Modern Wedding Cakes " ( an Australian magazine ) - there is another Aussie one but I can't think of the name right now !

Hope these help icon_biggrin.gif

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone so much!!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 11

I was thinnking of subscribing to ACD but their website somehow was not very encouraging, for those of you who do...is it worth it? Do you really enjoy it? Thanks

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 11

I find American Cake Decorating a little on the expensive side but I really enjoy both it and Mailbox News. ACD always has a project cake that they teach you to make and have experienced decorators do the tutorial. Also, if you send Mailbox News pictures of your cakes they put them in the magazine. Its kind of fun seeing your cake in print!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 11

Monkess-Yes, I LOVE that magazine. Read it for hours when it comes. My family thinks I'm nuts. Only real 'cake' people understand. I'm not a pro, just hobby baker though with no classes under my belt. If your a pro, it might be boring.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 11

Oh, forgot that there is a coupon for subscription on the back of one of my cake flour boxes. Wish I had seen that before I paid the subscription..sorry, dont remember which one but the prices was a lot cheaper.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks folks!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkess

I was thinnking of subscribing to ACD but their website somehow was not very encouraging, for those of you who do...is it worth it? Do you really enjoy it? Thanks

I ordered a back issue of ACD and MBN just to see what they are like and I enjoyed them so much I subscribed to both. It's a bit pricey as far as subscriptions go, but what isn't nowadays?

Enjoy your day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%