Some Help Please...gumpaste Q's

Decorating By seagoat Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 1:32am by ceshell

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make a DJ turntable for my son's 12th birthday in a few days and I don't even know where to start on making the arm/needle part.

It looks so real...

* Not sure where the cake originally came from. I found it on Google search. Edited to add...I just found the same cake on CC. It's made by DesignerCakes.
LL

5 replies
seagoat Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 6

Now that I have re-read my original post...I guess I didn't really make sense did I ? I guess I edited it too much..lol

I would like any help on how I could make this. Especially the arm.

Any help would be appreciated.

seagoat Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:08am
post #3 of 6

wow, any help? PLEEEZE

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:45am
post #4 of 6

Have you checked out turntable cakes in the galleries? I have seen a few, maybe PM'ing some of those decorators would help. I saw a thread on this recently too, where a few people chimed in with tips, so check the "search" forums!

As for the arm/needle I think I would use straight gumpaste so that it will dry fast and rock-hard. If you don't think you can work fast enough to shape it then make it out of half fondant, half gp but I'm not sure if it will dry in time. To make the arm I'd just do it in parts. One part would be the tubular arm shape, then add the details on/around it a day or two later, after that's dried. Meanwhile make up that circular base that holds the arm. You just kind of have to do it by sight.

Anyway once done you'll need some silver luster dust and strong alcohol or lemon extract to paint the dust on, and black food coloring (and a #0 paintbrush) ideally to paint on the black details.

Hope this helps a little, it's so hard to describe how one "would" go about modeling a thing. I just go into my kitchen armed with gp and a good, clear photograph and wing it.

seagoat Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you ceshell

I think that's what will have to happen. I have looked in the gallerys but not the forums. Also have been communicating with Macsmom...she has a nice one in the gallerys also.

jessica

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:32am
post #6 of 6

If you are communicating with MacsMom then you are way ahead of the game! She is one of my CC heroes thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%